3rd ave service in Brooklyn

altrans88

I wonder if any one out there feel the suspensiion of the 3rd avenue bus line from Boro. Hall to its end of line partially taken by the B70 was warranted.

The alternative for its replacement is the 4th avenue subway line, but its not great for the 'disadvantaged", (ie elderly, handicapped, and such).

I took a look at the current Brooklyn Bus map to see if a equivalent still existed. There is the B103 which will take itself Civic Ctr. to Prospect Highway, around 15th Street. Then take a transfer to the B63(not one of my favorite line to ride on) which must be taken at 9th street which continues all the way down to where the B70 ends, yet if one needed to use 3rd avenue, a transfer must be taken at Bay Ridge Ave where the B70 is THE 3rd ave Bus of choice going south not the eviserated north service (which is truncated for all what left the oringinal B3x?)

The 3rd avenue area between Prospect Highway and Bay Ridge Ave is taken oven by 2 preminium bus lines the X27, and X28, I am not too familiar with this bus service and does it run 24 hours and does it stop at prescribed limited stops along 3rd avenue? (have to investigate the map schedule).

This was the ony bus (the old B35 or 38?) that took anyone at least close to Lutheran Medical Hospital besides the B11 (is that one in trouble also?).

I know that perhaps low ridership may have been a reason to suspend 3rd avenue service, but at least partial service could have been kept with a 'limited' stops could have given people living in that area some chance of using this bus line differently.

Any one to muse on this?

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/DMD64) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

The "3rd Av Bus" you speak of was the B37. They canned it cuz of low ridership. The (R) train is a block away on 4 Av, and the B63 is 2 blocks away on 5 Av. In Bay Ridge they re-routed the B70 to make up for 3 Av bus service down there bus by that area, 4 & 5 Avs merge somewhat so it makes the B37 even more redundant. The B37 was just a mirror to the B63

I wonder if any one out there feel the suspensiion of the 3rd avenue bus line from Boro. Hall to its end of line partially taken by the B70 was warranted.

The alternative for its replacement is the 4th avenue subway line, but its not great for the 'disadvantaged", (ie elderly, handicapped, and such).

I took a look at the current Brooklyn Bus map to see if a equivalent still existed. There is the B103 which will take itself Civic Ctr. to Prospect Highway, around 15th Street. Then take a transfer to the B63(not one of my favorite line to ride on) which must be taken at 9th street which continues all the way down to where the B70 ends, yet if one needed to use 3rd avenue, a transfer must be taken at Bay Ridge Ave where the B70 is THE 3rd ave Bus of choice going south not the eviserated north service (which is truncated for all what left the oringinal B3x?)

The 3rd avenue area between Prospect Highway and Bay Ridge Ave is taken oven by 2 preminium bus lines the X27, and X28, I am not too familiar with this bus service and does it run 24 hours and does it stop at prescribed limited stops along 3rd avenue? (have to investigate the map schedule).

This was the ony bus (the old B35 or 38?) that took anyone at least close to Lutheran Medical Hospital besides the B11 (is that one in trouble also?).

I know that perhaps low ridership may have been a reason to suspend 3rd avenue service, but at least partial service could have been kept with a 'limited' stops could have given people living in that area some chance of using this bus line differently.

Any one to muse on this?

The X27/28 are 'express' bus lines that serve SW Brooklyn and Manhattan. It normally uses the Gowanus(BQE)Expressway and never makes any stops on that portion. Those express lines only use 3rd/Hamilton Ave in severe traffic jams.

The X27/28 does not run 24/7, it a weekday only lines running appx. 530am-6pm Manhattan Bound and 12 noon-Midnight Brooklyn Bound. Prior to the June cuts, they did run 7 days a week.

Any one to muse on this?

The B103 runs non-stop along 3rd Avenue south of Dean Street, so you can't consider it an adequate replacement in northern Brooklyn (if it ran local along 3rd Avenue until 9th Street, then it would help serve B37 riders on the northern section.

The X27/X28 make no stops along 3rd Avenue. The X28 goes on the Gowanus Expressway at 86th Street and the X27 goes on the Gowanus Expresway at 65th Street. On a side note, weekend service was eliminated on both of those lines in June.

The B11 is in no danger of being eliminated, though late night service was eliminated back in 1995.

Personally, I feel that the B70 is an adequate replacement for the B37 in Bay Ridge because riders can simply transfer to the B63 at 5th Avenue, which is only a couple of blocks from the B37 in Downtown Brooklyn. It is slower than the B37, but at least seniors and people who can't ride the subway have a way of getting around.

Archived