GMC RTS Articulated

Filip7370

So, I know that the topic could be rolled couple of times back and forth. Still I have few questions about RTS-05 bus.

First, is that photo the only existing picture of the prototype?

Demonstrator_GMC-RTS_Artic.jpg

Found in Google.

Second, where this prototype ended it's history? Did somebody bought it?

Were there any other built, or were there any orders for those(which weren't finalized)?

Ok guys, it actually went a little something like this.

There were two prototypes built. One was a 55 footer, and the other was the 60 footer seen above. The only TA to place an order for one was SMART of Detroit. At the time, the name of the TA was actually SEMTA. Before the first production model could be manufactured, SEMTA cancelled the order, and killed the project. The Detroit Department of Transportation (DDOT) also expressed interest in the bus as well, but that's as far as that went. Both prototypes were later scrapped. There are a few more pics floating around, but this is one of the best out there.

EDIT:

In this configuration, no. Nobody makes V-Drive transmissions anymore. Now in the future with a semi low-floor T-Drive version, possibly. At least that's what the plan is.

Actually there still are V drive transmissions available. Both ZF and Voith offer transmissions in configurations for buses with engines mounted transversly. They're very common in the UK.

Actually there still are V drive transmissions available. Both ZF and Voith offer transmissions in configurations for buses with engines mounted transversly. They're very common in the UK.

Oh, ok. I don't know anything about European buses. I'm referring to what we have here.

Still I have few questions about RTS-05 bus.

I missed this, but the artic was actually the RTS-04. The -05 never went into full scale production. It was the first T-Drive model.

What about those couple photos, that You mentioned before?

I have to go did them out of a box in my basement. This is the from the original brochure.

RTSM.jpg

Found these online;

bus.jpg

Nice find! That's a rare 35 ft. RTS-03 with a rear HVAC retrofit kit.

Archived