Incompetence

jimbob60

So I notice the 8th Ave line has this annoying (loud with high pitched woman's voice) audio system informing riders how many station stops away train are and informing when trains are arriving in the station. Last night the system had the chance to do some good but failed. Downtown E service stopped after 10PM as part of regularly scheduled maintenance. Uptown local service was out since the evening due to a water condition around 34th or 42nd St so C's ran express from Canal to 59th and E's express to 42nd. I went downtown from 50th St around 9PM and that seemed to be the case as I saw both uptown E's and C's on the express track. I left downtown around 10:30 and entered the 23rd ST station to go home to Queens. The platform was closed and I was told to go to 14th St to catch an E that would run express to 42nd. As I entered 14th I could see an R32 leaving the uptown express track. An A then arrived and I took it to 42nd. I got off and there were a lot of people waiting for the E there. The announcements were the same (E's express to 42nd St) as those made earlier. But 2 more A's proceeded to arrive with no sign of an E. Some people were saying the E's were not running. That was clear about downtown service due to the scheduled maintenance but not so for Queensbound service. I asked a few transit employees and no one seemed to know so I ran to catch the 7 and caught one just as the doors were closing. I am not complaining about the water issue or even the fact that uptown E trains were not running. I was frustrated that this stupid announcement system could not provide any information when it was most needed. Those who stick their heads over the platform edge need to hear the announcement that the train is approaching and it is comforting to hear that a train is 1 station stop away. But when trains are not running, that is when these announcement systems are most needed and last night the system failed big time. The system is a waste of money and another glaring example of MTA incompetence.

Most likely the case. But my issue was with the lack of notification of the change and not the change itself especially given this new announcement system. The damn thing is useless when most needed if it cannot inform riders that trains are not running and continues to say trains that are supposedly not running are running express to a certain point. A system that alerts riders of changes and notes alternatives (take the 7 to Roosevelt or 6th Ave for other Queens trains) is needed. Such a system would give riders the sense that the MTA has some competence.

the IND automatic annoucment systems are based around track circuit relays, and only able to detect the presense of a train in that block, not what train it is and where it's going. It is not as advanced as the ATS system on the IRT and the ATO/CBTC system on the Canarsie Line.

it is only designed to call out train movements, when there is nothing there, the system doesn't respond. As I assume you know, a computer requires an imput, in this case, the relay signling a moving train is present, to produce an out put, the audio message.

in the case of last night, live annoucments should have been made. this is in no way the the fauit of the tracking system.

Thanks for clearing that up!;)

Archived