When Train Doors Open and No Platform Is in Sight

Trainspotter

When Train Doors Open and No Platform Is in Sight

When Lauren Papapietro boarded a New Jersey Transit train at Pennsylvania Station in February, she stood in the vestibule between the cars with a half-dozen other passengers, as she does most nights when seats are scarce. As the train rolled out of the station, the door six inches from where she stood opened for nearly a minute before the train stopped and the conductors scurried to close it.

“I was scared to death,” said Ms. Papapietro, 21, a senior at Monmouth University who works at a public relations firm in Manhattan. “I kind of trust New Jersey Transit to get me back and forth, and I really hope this doesn’t happen again.”

Full story: nytimes_logo.gif icon_offsite.png - April 11, 2008

Well guess what! Don;t stand in the vestibule and you won't have a problem now will we?If the conductor has problems getting through thae cars because there are a lot of people standing there.Tough sh** would you rahter be in the way of a grumpy conductor or in the vestbule where there are doors that tend to open becase thats where you get on and off the damn train.People are just stupid....

Well guess what! Don;t stand in the vestibule and you won't have a problem now will we?If the conductor has problems getting through thae cars because there are a lot of people standing there.Tough sh** would you rahter be in the way of a grumpy conductor or in the vestbule where there are doors that tend to open becase thats where you get on and off the damn train.People are just stupid....

But sometimes the train gets so packed people have to stand there.

Has happened to me several times.

But sometimes the train gets so packed people have to stand there.

Has happened to me several times.

You still don't need to lean on the doors,for christ sakes they have handles in the vestibules.

And if the people are so worried and the train is packed,wait for the next one! God for bid a person could be a couple minutes late to travel safely.

Archived