HO Scale Commuter Rail Models???

Hello, I am currently working on a project to model American commuter rail systems in HO scale. I would probably classify myself as a beginner;)

Anyway, I've been searching for HO commuter models and can't find much other than the Athearn Bombardier models and the Walthers Comets (which I can't seem to get on the walthers site.) I was wondering if anyone knew any sites where i could get "ready to run" HO scale models of Metra, MARC, MBTA, LIRR, MNRR, NJT, Septa, etc.

If not, how challenging are the IslandModelWorks models? Would a beginner like me be able to assemble them and get satisfying results?

Thanks in advance!

Hello, I am currently working on a project to model American commuter rail systems in HO scale. I would probably classify myself as a beginner;)

Anyway, I've been searching for HO commuter models and can't find much other than the Athearn Bombardier models and the Walthers Comets (which I can't seem to get on the walthers site.) I was wondering if anyone knew any sites where i could get "ready to run" HO scale models of Metra, MARC, MBTA, LIRR, MNRR, NJT, Septa, etc.

If not, how challenging are the IslandModelWorks models? Would a beginner like me be able to assemble them and get satisfying results?

Thanks in advance!

First- the Walthers comets have been discontinued

2nd- Ebay is where youll find RTR commuter models at any given tiime.

IMW kits are easy and quick to assemble

Walthers is going to eventually bring back the NJ Transit and Metro-North Railroad 85' Horizon Commuter Coach's and Cabs if there's enough orders. Just place the order (backorder) online or call them. I ordered some NJ Transit coaches myself recently for my Northeast Corridor layout.

What will you be using for motive power?

Walthers is going to eventually bring back the NJ Transit and Metro-North Railroad 85' Horizon Commuter Coach's and Cabs if there's enough orders. Just place the order (backorder) online or call them. I ordered some NJ Transit coaches myself recently for my Northeast Corridor layout.

What will you be using for motive power?

The Walther car are currently being upgraded and in 2011 Wathers might make a second run with both Comet II and IIIs. I emailed them over the summer. The IMW models are hard to work on.

• 1 month later...
Thanks. I'll be sure to place a backorder for Comets on Walthers.

N-Trizzy: With the IMW kits, can you get nice results with dilligence, or might it just be beyond me?

IMW kits vary in difficulty, depending on the work that needs to be done.

For example, the Multi-level cars he sells are great, you just need to sand down some edges just like you would any other resin kit. His new PL42AC shells are also great (not the originals though).

Others are very good but do need extra work, like the ALP46. there are a few minor shape issues with it, but that can be fixed with a mill file and sand paper.

Other cars are just problematic, like the Silverliner II kits. Even if you did a good job assembling the kit, it is itself flawed.

Here is one VERY NICE HO-scale ready-to-run engine available in Metra paint: http://www.katousa.com/HO/F40PH/index.html

EDITED TO ADD: Kato also has bi-level commuter cars in HO scale to go with that Metra F40PH: http://www.katousa.com/HO/Bilevel/index.html

Archived