Subway cars and power output

Joel Up Front

What makes a train fast or slow? Most R-contract cars (R22s being one exception, and the NTTs) have 115 HP/axle, but everyone says that the R62s or 68s are slow when they have the same output per axle.

Am I interpreting something wrong?

Many things.

In terms of design, weight to HP ratio is one of the biggest.

All cars today are designed with an initial acceleration rate of 2.5MPH per second, however that tapers off. Where it tapers off depends on the car class and weight to HP ratio.

R62s are not slow. R68s and R68A's are slower when compared to other cars in the fleet. They have a higher weight to HP ratio. It's also why the BMT Standards were some of the slowest cars running when they were around.

In terms of in practice, a number of things could cause it. Open resistance circuit in a car (dead car), dead motor(s), and so on. But they all get back to weight/HP ratio because if a motor dies you lose that HP.

Many things.

In terms of design, weight to HP ratio is one of the biggest.

All cars today are designed with an initial acceleration rate of 2.5MPH per second, however that tapers off. Where it tapers off depends on the car class and weight to HP ratio.

R62s are not slow. R68s and R68A's are slower when compared to other cars in the fleet. They have a higher weight to HP ratio. It's also why the BMT Standards were some of the slowest cars running when they were around.

In terms of in practice, a number of things could cause it. Open resistance circuit in a car (dead car), dead motor(s), and so on. But they all get back to weight/HP ratio because if a motor dies you lose that HP.

I don't know if you guys can see this, as I may have to publish this, but I made this little spreadsheet on Mass to Power Ratios a while back. Hope you can make sense of it:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AucfHj0GlYYPdC1nRmRsYzVOeHcyMmZvbTIydFdiZ0E&hl=en#gid=0

I don't know if you guys can see this, as I may have to publish this, but I made this little spreadsheet on Mass to Power Ratios a while back. Hope you can make sense of it:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AucfHj0GlYYPdC1nRmRsYzVOeHcyMmZvbTIydFdiZ0E&hl=en#gid=0

Makes sense to me. I'd stay away from the "imaginary" car classes if I wanted it to be taken seriously though because you have put some thought into it.

There are other issues that affect TOP SPEED and acceleration rate, but since all acceleration is designed to be the same nowadays weight/HP is the best predictor of acceleration for cars in general.

Most prewar cars had acceleration rates of 1.75 MPH/s because that is what they were designed for. It was not until the first SMEE cars (the R10s) that the rate was upped to 2.5mphps.

If you want to fill out the Lo-V section you'll also have to adjust for different types. Steinway cars had different gear ratios designed to increase torque and reduce top speed (to climb the Steinway tubes). Standard Lo-V's did not have this modification. For all intents and purposes, in a 10 car train of Standard Lo-V's, you would have had 3 trailers (or less). In a 10 car train of Steinways, all would have been motors.

Archived