Do I need another transformer for this?

Andy

The lockon is where my tranformers are connected to (there's only one by mistake I have two already one in the outer loop one in the inner loop). Do I need another transformer for this siding? Please answer.

I already have two tranformers. One for the 0-42 and one for the 0-31.

*This is realtrax O-scale*

mylayout2m.jpg

I know very little of O-scale but if you're going to run a second powered engine on that siding I believe you will have to insulate that siding and add a another transformer (3rd) to it or it will trip the inner loop transformer. For just one powered engine you wouldn't need to add another transformer.

Zach should be able to shed some more light on this when he see's this thread.

I know very little of O-scale but if you're going to run a second powered engine on that siding I believe you will have to insulate that siding and add a another transformer (3rd) to it or it will trip the inner loop transformer. For just one powered engine you wouldn't need to add another transformer.

Zach should be able to shed some more light on this when he see's this thread.

Thanks yeah I only have three trains, I have the SD70ACe in the outer loop with a 0-6-0 sitcher in the back acting as a push-engine. In the inner loop I got the R-26 which is elevated, soon I'll get the Lo-v's and I'll put the consist like this (all in one train):

lo-v(powered),r26,r26,lo-v,lo-v,lo-v,r26,r26(powered) an eight car train.

What kind of transformers are we talking about? I never usually run 2 engines on the same track because they will trip the transformer. If its 2 Z-4000's were talking, then you will be okay, but if you want to do your 8 car subway with 2 powered units on the same track on a Z1000, you definitely going to run into some tripping issues, plus, you might burn out a proto board or 2, and those run a minimum of $150.00 easy to replace. Like Harry said, if you want to power that siding, then you must insulate that curve section from the switch to the siding so its not part of the main layout.

Z

What kind of transformers are we talking about? I never usually run 2 engines on the same track because they will trip the transformer. If its 2 Z-4000's were talking, then you will be okay, but if you want to do your 8 car subway with 2 powered units on the same track on a Z1000, you definitely going to run into some tripping issues, plus, you might burn out a proto board or 2, and those run a minimum of $150.00 easy to replace. Like Harry said, if you want to power that siding, then you must insulate that curve section from the switch to the siding so its not part of the main layout.

Z

Thanks, however I'm just going to use my four car R26 on the inner loop. I'm thinking about getting a premier subway to put in the outer loop. The SD70ACe would be a display. I'm using a Z-1000. So do I have to insulate that curve for just one engine?

Archived