Exams for Mechanic Jobs

Donald

So I just had a question in regards to some of the technical jobs, like car inspector, electro-mechanical maintainer, etc. I noticed from previous aunnocements that, in addition to including a written exam, they include practical exams. What are these exams like? Are they hard?

Also, what are the written exams like? Are they common knowledge exams like those given for conductor and T/O, or are they technical?

If anyone here has ever taken these exams, especially the praictical, I am interested in hearng your insights.

Thanks!

when I went for my cdl road test, along with my training class were a few guys that were hired as bus maintainers and needed their CDL. I spoke with one about the practical. He said it wasn't hard for a mechanic. Change a belt, do some electrical diagnostics, forgot what else.. But he said you needed strong electrical knowledge.

The others, I can't really say. I would say they look for proficiency in basic skills and diagnostics in all fields, because regardless you will need training on their systems.

I have taken the TEMM, Bus Maintainer B , and Car Inspector and the TEM exam. They all have some very basic mechanic stuff but they also have some detailed electronic troubleshooting and sometimes even wiring a circuit board. Some of the troubleshooting is very tricky so a good knowledge of electrical is needed. I am sure they change this from test to test so i dont think you could even get any kind of a study guide for these type tests. Years ago they were multiple choice but i dont think they give those for skill type positions anymore.

Thanks for the insights. So I guess in order to pass or do well on the practical, you would need far more experience than the 2 years they require? Can someone 2 years out of HVAC school, for instance, wire a circuit board or troubleshoot? I've spoken to expeirenced HVAC techs and many of them tell me that to successfully troubleshoot requires years of experience.

I'm actually starting HVAC school next month.

If you don't mind me asking harry0714, how did you do on the practical exams? Did you get called for any of those jobs?

Someone who was trained in schooled might actually have a better chance at troubleshooting since they were trained by the book. There is actually a job out right now for an HVAC guy and it might be a good idea to jump on it if that is what you want, It is probably a resume job so you wont even have to take a test right now to get in but will have to take one down the line to become permanent,. I passed 2 out of the 4 tests that i took and i am appealing one of the exam scores that i failed.

I am currently working as a TEMM in the elevator escalator department.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice, but I don't yet meet the requirements for those jobs. Also, I heard that they laid off a lot of provisional CIs and RCIs last summer so I'm surpised they are hiring provisionals. Currently, I'm on the eligible list for the last condcutor exam (low 400s).

Archived