Cop whined at low pay - now he's accused of writing scores of bogus tix

Trainspotter

He was the poster boy for low-paid NYPD officers, but now he is under investigation for sticking it to the public with scores of bogus tickets, sources told the Daily News.

Joseph Harmon won public sympathy last May when he wrote The News about how he couldn't pay the rent on his cop's salary and how he, his three kids and pregnant wife were about to be evicted.

He said the letters "CPR" on patrol cars, which stand for Courtesy, Professionalism and Respect, for him meant: "Can't Pay Rent."

Full story: nydailynews_logo.gif icon_offsite.png - April 29, 2008

I can't believe strangers gave this guy money. Yeah I remember reading that story in the Daily News. I didn't shed a tear...it is all union propaganda. The problem is not the "low pay" but him and his wife having 3 kids with another on the way. Some people should be sterlized for the benefit of society. And yes quotas do exist as much as the higher ups in the NYPD deny that they do.

It's a shame that this is what the NYPD has come to. The low pay is the problem, anyone who would make a good police officer will go to other departments for more money. Since the pay is so low, the job now attracts many people that would not even get a job at Burger King. If the pay was raised, men and women of good chariter would take the job, but Mike and Ray lie about numbers to justify the low pay and it is US who suffer. I would love to join the NYPD, but the pay is way too low to justify taking the job and dealing with the people officers deal with every day. Its a shame what this department has come to.

Full story: nydailynews_logo.gif icon_offsite.png - April 29, 2008

A lot of traffic cops write bogus tickets. How about them? Honestly, I would not use the excuse for low pay because if you do want to become an officer, you are supposed to be aware of what the job brings and that includes salary.

The traffic guys are not cops, they have no real power and they get fired right away for writing fake tickets. What the bad part is, the NYPD now has to take on unqualified people because of the low pay. People who would be right for the job will go to other department. This is why there are now so many criminals on the job.

Archived