Hope for MADE IN USA?

Via Garibaldi 8

I hope I've cleared up some misunderstandings. I'm not leaning towards being an extremist pro-Chinese individual; I'm advocating a greater variance in the mainstream culture. SubwayGuy, while condemning the fact that the people who want to be closer to traditions of other cultures as narrow-minded, is narrow-mindedly advocating that there is only one way and that everyone should be that way—in other words, proselytizing. That's being hung up on the idea of removing as much "Asian" from "Asian-American" as possible. There's a certain threshold of "Americanness" that I'm willing to adopt, and I'm not going to go out of my way to buy American.

Four times now and you've missed the point every time.

What makes America American is the CONVERGENCE of cultures and the ASSIMILATION of many aspects of those cultures into a new culture that becomes American. American "culture" is not, as you claim, static, but always changing. Always impacted by new things from around the world that make their way here through the immigrant population. But that only happens when the immigrants embrace this country and become part of it.

If I'm so wrong about that, then you must think that America invented bagels by itself without Eastern Europeans, pizza without Italians, and this whole novelty sushi must have nothing to do with Japanese immigrants right?

In order for that to happen, the cultures must come together and have a metaphorical dialogue that brings different traditions together to make a new, expanding, cosmopolitan culture. That is American. Always has been.

What I am saying, and ALL I am saying about defining one self as "American" is that one's sympathies and loyalties, as an American citizen, must remain to THIS country, not to other ones elsewhere. Meaning the stability of our economy ought to be more important to so called Americans than anyone else's economy (hence buying American). The health and wellness of our citizens ought to be more important to so called Americans than anyone else's citizens (unless - as in the case of healthcare - they are here legally, since many countries extend those same courtesies to Americans travelling legally abroad).

The sympathies of American citizens for other countries should never come ahead of THIS country, regardless of their race, their national origin, their ethnicity, their background, or their personal tastes. The only exception I can think of to this is dual citizens, it is fair that their loyalties may be split. Anyone who wants to pursue knowledge of their ancestral history is certainly welcome to do so but not when that search is accompanied by the rejection of all things American. Anyone who does not wish to pursue knowledge of their ancestral history, or wishes to pursue knowledge of someone else's ancestral history is also welcome to do so...but again, not when accompanied by the rejection of all things American. Contrary to popular belief, it IS possible to appreciate other cultures while still appreciating and taking pride in your own.

As far as I am concerned China is a blight on the world's economy and developed nations everywhere should band together to prevent the influx of cheap goods made on the blood and backs of humans who will never get a fair shake in life, if for no other reason than to send a message that type of bullshit will not be tolerated in a so called modern 21st century where we are supposed to be above the petty power struggles that defined the middle ages and accompanied the first industrial revolution. Clearly we are not, but it would be nice to try and see people IMPROVE things for the first time in a generation.

The same thing I said above about China goes for any other place that tries to "undersell" countries that treat their workers fairly, manipulates their currency to undercut legitimate goods made in other nations, etc.

Four times now and you've missed the point every time.
Apparently, you don't understand my points either, so each and every time you make an assumption from misunderstanding, I'll make a clear point to refute it:

What makes America American is the CONVERGENCE of cultures and the ASSIMILATION of many aspects of those cultures into a new culture that becomes American. American "culture" is not, as you claim, static, but always changing. Always impacted by new things from around the world that make their way here through the immigrant population. But that only happens when the immigrants embrace this country and become part of it.
American is also the choice to not be a part of the mainstream. And paradoxically, the choice to not integrate into mainstream American culture is American. Hence, my point about the mottled nature of America as a whole as opposed to constantly changing uniform hues still stands.

If I'm so wrong about that, then you must think that America invented bagels by itself without Eastern Europeans, pizza without Italians, and this whole novelty sushi must have nothing to do with Japanese immigrants right?
People who like things from another culture choose to adopt it. When enough people like something, it gets produced. What if I like Korean fashion? No American companies manufacture clothing of their style; therefore, I buy from overseas to make up for the lack of that kind of product. If I want pizza, there is no need to import pizza from Italy or travel there to have it; I simply go to the nearest restaurant within New York City and buy my pizza.

In order for that to happen, the cultures must come together and have a metaphorical dialogue that brings different traditions together to make a new, expanding, cosmopolitan culture. That is American. Always has been.
I don't disagree entirely, but that doesn't dull my point about America being mottled and not uniform. There will—and must—always be outlying elements scattered about.

What I am saying, and ALL I am saying about defining one self as "American" is that one's sympathies and loyalties, as an American citizen, must remain to THIS country, not to other ones elsewhere. Meaning the stability of our economy ought to be more important to so called Americans than anyone else's economy (hence buying American). The health and wellness of our citizens ought to be more important to so called Americans than anyone else's citizens (unless - as in the case of healthcare - they are here legally, since many countries extend those same courtesies to Americans travelling legally abroad).
Look… There is a threshold for this American fanaticism. If I like wearing clothing from Korea, I should not be told to change my preferences just to support the country. (In fact, most American clothing isn't even manufactured in America and only puts more money in the pockets of the corporations that market them.) I'm not going to sacrifice my individuality for America, and also paradoxically, it's un-American. It's communist Chinese mentality to throw away the idea of the individual for the country.

The sympathies of American citizens for other countries should never come ahead of THIS country, regardless of their race, their national origin, their ethnicity, their background, or their personal tastes. The only exception I can think of to this is dual citizens, it is fair that their loyalties may be split. Anyone who wants to pursue knowledge of their ancestral history is certainly welcome to do so but not when that search is accompanied by the rejection of all things American. Anyone who does not wish to pursue knowledge of their ancestral history, or wishes to pursue knowledge of someone else's ancestral history is also welcome to do so...but again, not when accompanied by the rejection of all things American. Contrary to popular belief, it IS possible to appreciate other cultures while still appreciating and taking pride in your own.
What sympathies? I already said I didn't like my motherland. And also, what things American are being rejected? I've always repeated that the embracing of something different is American. Those who are swept into the singularity of American culture and stay there are not American. America shouldn't have it's own uniform culture just because other countries have and maintain tight control over their own uniform cultures, because it's the only country in the world where things don't have to be that way. (I know France has enacted measures to hold off the invasion of American ideas, and the mainland Chinese are indoctrinated to hate Westerners as well.)

As far as I am concerned China is a blight on the world's economy and developed nations everywhere should band together to prevent the influx of cheap goods made on the blood and backs of humans who will never get a fair shake in life, if for no other reason than to send a message that type of bullshit will not be tolerated in a so called modern 21st century where we are supposed to be above the petty power struggles that defined the middle ages and accompanied the first industrial revolution. Clearly we are not, but it would be nice to try and see people IMPROVE things for the first time in a generation.
And whenever they do clean up their act, I will have an actual motherland to be proud of.

The same thing I said above about China goes for any other place that tries to "undersell" countries that treat their workers fairly, manipulates their currency to undercut legitimate goods made in other nations, etc.
As far as I know, the Chinese are the only major country to do this. I don't know about the other countries I buy from.

Well it's apparent to me this is turning into a pissing contest and you are talking around me and still not hearing what I'm saying. It's obvious you don't take any pride in this nation or any of the American way of life which includes the freedom to let you like those "non mainstream" things. All I will say is that if that's the way you really think, then there won't be much of an America around to enjoy when our median standard of living falls off a cliff. And when it does it will take the rest of the developed world down with it and you will HAVE to be proud of your "motherland" because they will own us.

And 100 years of progress in human rights will have been undone.

But that's OK because the people are happy now. They have Youtube to distract them. Things aren't so bad. Hey the Federal Reserve just printed up some more money and tax refunds are coming in, let's go spend it on imported goods.

The days of American industry are done. Everyone wants to be a doctor or lawyer or other service industry related job and make $300k a year. Nobody wants to toil in a factory for 10 hours a day making products at 7.15 an hour. Corporations got greedy and saw an opportunity to outsource their products to places where labor is cheap like china, india, vietnam and other places.

We need more immigration into this country. Why are we so concerned about people coming in when they are the ones willing to take the crummy jobs and work? Conservatives are the problem...their fat rich conservative bitch asses wont go out and take those factory jobs yet they are the ones doing the biggest complaining...

The days of American industry are done. Everyone wants to be a doctor or lawyer or other service industry related job and make $300k a year. Nobody wants to toil in a factory for 10 hours a day making products at 7.15 an hour. Corporations got greedy and saw an opportunity to outsource their products to places where labor is cheap like china, india, vietnam and other places.

The point of this thread is there are still American manufacturers and if the American people use these companies, and ask of retailers "oh...do you have something that's NOT made in China" when they shop that things can change.

But they won't change if companies that outsourced jobs can continue to line their pockets with the money of the American consumer.

Archived