Hope for MADE IN USA?

Via Garibaldi 8

More and more American companies are rethinking their idiotic decision to move production offshore to places like China and are shifting production back to the U.S. Part of this shift is from rising shipping and oil costs and quality issues, as well as the realization that it would actually be cheaper to produce here in the U.S., with companies actually seeing profitable gains in doing so.

Unless we wake up and start manufacturing American goods again and also emphasize the importance of us buying "Made in USA" products instead of looking for the cheapest item on the shelf, our economy will never grow to be healthy again.

Are there really people that won't buy things that aren't made in America? People won't have much new stuff, then...

I thought US automakers still had their heads up their asses with the quality management. It seems to be hit and miss.

Ford is getting better with quality and is increasing its production, as is GM, but they still don't quite get what the American customer wants. German car companies like BMW are now making some of their cars here in the US, helping the American economy grow.

However, when you see how our economy has been decimated with the lack of jobs, one has to look at the loss of manufacturing jobs and the unhealthy trade deficit we have with a country like China, which practices protectionist measures to keep its economy going, which is what we should be doing. The Chinese have now surpassed the Japanese as the world's second biggest economy.

No country can expect to have a healthy economy without a manufacturing base and the Chinese certainly understand this. Now we can argue that new jobs will be created to replace the lost manufacturing jobs, but in this recession, that doesn't seem to be holding true at all. At some point there just isn't enough job creation to make up for those jobs lost and now we're losing many high paying ones as well, so there isn't too much more that we can keep giving up.

As far as my purchasing habits go, yes, I do believe strongly in supporting "Made in USA", as well as the American unions that are making the products and helping to keep our economy going, so I definitely buy a lot of American made products and definitely check Country of origin on everything that I buy. Everyone wants to save and savings can still be had buying American if one shops wisely. The old saying "You get what you pay for" still holds true.

My question is since the economic recession is anyone trying to buy more "Made in USA" products?

This country was bought and sold a long time ago. We used to have the busiest ports, we invented the transistor and used to make all of the products here, TVs, VCRs Radios etc, We used to have the best of the best..Now everything is made somewhere else, the buisiest ports are now in singapore and china... This country has gone to pot.

This country was bought and sold a long time ago. We used to have the busiest ports, we invented the transistor and used to make all of the products here, TVs, VCRs Radios etc, We used to have the best of the best..Now everything is made somewhere else, the buisiest ports are now in singapore and china... This country has gone to pot.

But yes a lot of things are "imported" now. What I find rather funny is that it's a treat to buy American products now and in some cases they can be rather pricey. I bought some pants recently and wanted American made ones. I found several pairs that I bought but they're considered "luxury" items. lol

See my signature, it says everything an American needs to know

I was waiting for you to join the thread mate... :cool:

Speaking of American made things, I got the chance to see some of the R142s apparently being tested up in Plattsburgh. I suppose Bombardier was testing them at the time, but they just had a car or two sitting on the rails...

Hopefully, our food supply won't be outsourced as well. I'm awry or edibles that are made in China as they seem to sacrifice quality for quantity and human lives for money.

I'm pro-Chinese, but for a China that doesn't yet exist.

I would love to see "Made In USA" On products again,but unions and corrupt corporate wigs is killing the chances more and more.

This reminds me of a Simpson's episode where Mr. Burns moves power production to India (which itself is a far-fetched idea). The wages can be crap, and there are no unions. Once Homer introduces the idea of benefits, severance pay, and unions, Mr. Burns is forced to return the power production back to America.

This reminds me of a Simpson's episode where Mr. Burns moves power production to India (which itself is a far-fetched idea). The wages can be crap, and there are no unions. Once Homer introduces the idea of benefits, severance pay, and unions, Mr. Burns is forced to return the power production back to America.

The Simpsons never get old. I used to watch them from to time when I was living back in Italy also. The characters are a bit different than the American versions though, but still funny.

I would love to see "Made In USA" On products again,but unions and corrupt corporate wigs is killing the chances more and more.

The corporations control what gets produced and how much the product costs the consumer not the unions. The unions bargain for benefits for the workers who make the products. In the best scenario they settle on a middle ground which is fair to the corporation, worker, and consumer alike. In the real world the corporation says screw the consumer and worker and keeps the wages low and the prices high, bringing maximum profit to the corporation. They'll try to get a six day work week with minimum wages like they did in the early 20th century. Barring that they set up shop overseas with little or no regulations and produce inferior items to be sold in the American marketplace. Somehow real Americans have been brainwashed into thinking that it's the unions who've caused the manufacturing problems in this country. Think vintage T-Birds, " Vettes, RCA or Zenith radios or televisions, GE appliances. Quality American products. All made by AMERICAN Union workers. The workers didn't do this to you, the money hungry corporations screwed America. Read your history and don't be brainwashed by propaganda folks. It's obvious who benefits most from plant shutdowns in the U.S. and outsourcing jobs. It's not the American worker, union or not, nor the American family.

The corporations control what gets produced and how much the product costs the consumer not the unions. The unions bargain for benefits for the workers who make the products. In the best scenario they settle on a middle ground which is fair to the corporation, worker, and consumer alike. In the real world the corporation says screw the consumer and worker and keeps the wages low and the prices high, bringing maximum profit to the corporation. They'll try to get a six day work week with minimum wages like they did in the early 20th century. Barring that they set up shop overseas with little or no regulations and produce inferior items to be sold in the American marketplace. Somehow real Americans have been brainwashed into thinking that it's the unions who've caused the manufacturing problems in this country. Think vintage T-Birds, " Vettes, RCA or Zenith radios or televisions, GE appliances. Quality American products. All made by AMERICAN Union workers. The workers didn't do this to you, the money hungry corporations screwed America. Read your history and don't be brainwashed by propaganda folks. It's obvious who benefits most from plant shutdowns in the U.S. and outsourcing jobs. It's not the American worker, union or not, nor the American family.

Exactly. And not only that, it's where the money goes once the corporation has it.

It doesn't stay in the corporation.

It doesn't get reinvested in the business.

It doesn't lead to expansion, and new jobs.

It goes into the executives' pockets.

Because the corporation would pay high taxes if it kept it. But it can write the money off taxes as pay for employees.

Then the rich can use their loopholes to avoid paying taxes and get richer.

All on the backs of you the consumer, and you the working class.

And most are too dumb or unwilling to see what is right in front of their eyes.

So they blame the unions.

Because the corporate controlled media tells them to.

So in short one hand washes the other...

Im not saying you're wrong, but how can people buy American when American companies are having their things built in other countries? Normally one hand does wash the other, but when one hand has an increasing disadvantage, the other hand can only do so much.

Im not saying you're wrong, but how can people buy American when American companies are having their things built in other countries? Normally one hand does wash the other, but when one hand has an increasing disadvantage, the other hand can only do so much.

That Americans weren't buying enough American products when they were making it here... All everyone cared about was CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP and that's still very true today. I personally wasn't always a protectionist until I started noticing that I had to go on a hunt literally just to buy American goods and I live here in the United States. Quite a disgrace IMO... So while the multinational corporations sold us out, so did the American consumer. There is nothing wrong w/looking for deals, but when you keep clamering for things to be made cheaper eventually that's what will happen. If the American consumer was more aware of what they were buying and was more active in demanding American goods then more products would be made here.

Now I'm still from the old school and I believe in paying more for quality and I DO CARE where my products come from because I'm a strong believer that if you support this whole cheap labor mentality that eventually we'll all be working for near pennies and I also believe that folks should be paid a decent salary for their work. I see it every day in my own industry. I get e-mails from companies in China offering to assist me with my translation projects for pennies, but the quality would be sh*t, so we hire professionals here in the US to work on the projects with me that I coordinate and luckily there are still companies out there that understand the importance of quality. We make a point to note that our rates maybe higher, but that's because we use professionals here in the US and don't outsource for cheap labor. People don't think that the low wage phenomenon can happen, but just look at how many high paying jobs have went overseas and haven't come back. Think about all of the tech jobs that are no longer here.

A country that doesn't make anything is in serious trouble and we need to go back to implementing protectionist measures to protect American jobs and the American way of life. Some people are afraid to say this because they think they'll be labeled as prejudiced somehow. There is nothing wrong with showing American pride and being proud of the American worker. We work harder and longer hours than any other worker in the Western world and are the most productive and that is something that we should be proud about. Our goverment also needs to understand that raising taxes on American companies that are committed to manufacturing here and creating jobs here is NOT the way to go. If no one thinks that the American dream is slowly fading, just look at the soaring foreclosures that are through the roof because no one earns enough anymore to afford to buy a home.

Archived