Where to get 20 passenger bus to test in?

On the road

I need to transfer my CA Class B CDL to a NY Class B. My CA has a restriction up to 15 pax and I need my NY license to allow 20 pax for a job in Alaska this summer. In the past I have always taken my driving tests in vehicles provided by my employers... but that is not possible here in NY because my employer is not here. Does anyone know where I can get a vehicle preferably in Suffolk or Nassau to test in and get some practice driving beforehand, that won't cost be $350? The one driving school I found in the city charges $350 for 1 hour of instruction and road test services... Thanks for any help.

Thanks Donald. I will call Red Hook tomorrow and see what my options are. I'd just need some practice (perhaps a few hours) with the vehicle before the test as it will be a bit longer and wider than the 15 passenger vans I've driven in the past. Free sounds very good to me!

Thanks Donald. I will call Red Hook tomorrow and see what my options are. I'd just need some practice (perhaps a few hours) with the vehicle before the test as it will be a bit longer and wider than the 15 passenger vans I've driven in the past. Free sounds very good to me!

If Donald bother reading the link he provided, he would have known that it's not for you. It's for unemployed young adults working on getting their CDL for the first time.

Red Hook on the Road accepts new students year round.

Red Hook on the Road is a free 4 week intensive hands-on training program that will help you earn the NYS CDL and find work as a commercial driver.

We provide behind-the-wheel training to drive Class B/BP/BPS commercial vehicles.

Job placement assistance is available for 2+ years after graduation so you can advance into better positions with higher pay.

To be eligible you must meet all of the following criteria:

Live in New York City & be legally eligible to work in the U.S.

21 years or older

Have a clean, valid NY State Driver’s License for at least 2 years with no more than 2 points or one suspension or one conviction showing on the driver record. No combination of the above is allowed. Also, no speeding tickets or D.U.I.s

Obtain and submit a driver record from the DMV that must be less than 30 days old

Able to attend training Monday - Friday 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM

Be unemployed and have a low income or receive public assistance

Thanks Y2Julio. Hmmm... according to that I wouldn't be eligible because I live in Long Island. I will contact them anyway and see if they have other suggestions. I knew they offered the 4 week course, but thought they may allow me to do a shortened version because I already have a CDL. It won't hurt to ask.

I need to transfer my CA Class B CDL to a NY Class B. My CA has a restriction up to 15 pax and I need my NY license to allow 20 pax for a job in Alaska this summer. In the past I have always taken my driving tests in vehicles provided by my employers... but that is not possible here in NY because my employer is not here. Does anyone know where I can get a vehicle preferably in Suffolk or Nassau to test in and get some practice driving beforehand, that won't cost be $350? The one driving school I found in the city charges $350 for 1 hour of instruction and road test services... Thanks for any help.

Try D pinto driving school on linden blvd and fountain avenue in brooklyn. Last time I used there vehicle for a road test was about $150. I don't have their number just search it. Don't quote me on $150 because this was around 6 years ago and in NYC things go up.

I had the came situation when stretch SUV's had to be registered as busses. I used a company in West Babylon. (CDL Training 631-249-1330)I rented a school bus for two days. One for practice and one for the test. I don't remember the price but it was cheap and one prom covered it. I upgraded to a CDL B with air brakes and the p endorsement. I didn't bother with the school endorsement but in hind sight I should have.

Hope this helps. I haven't visited this site in ages.

I know Ferrari does CDL license training with buses. I don't know if they will just provide the bus or whatever else. If you call them, they might be able to clear that up for you. I don't know if that's the same driving school you looked up that was $350.00. If not, do a quick internet search for their number and you should be able to find out. Driving schools in the NYC area are not cheap.

Archived