Metrocard Discounts

Via Garibaldi 8

Is the MTA required to offer Unlimited Metrocards and give discounts on Pay-Per-Ride Metrocards? Over the years and esp. of late with their fiscal problems, they have eliminated certain Metrocards citing either lack of use or that they are too deeply discounted (i.e. monthly Unlimited Express Bus Plus Card cut years ago). I guess my question is could they do away with unlimited Metrocards and discounted Pay-Per-Ride cards completely?

No, they aren't required to offer any discounts. However, they do so because they feel it is the best way of increasing ridership.

For example, if somebody had to make a commute from say, Staten Island to Eastern Queens, they would have to either pay a double fare ($4.50) and spend over 2.5 hours getting to work, or pay $5.50 plus $2.25 (since they need a second transfer to get further out) to save 30 minutes. They might decide to just get a car and save themselves the time (and part of the expense) of the commute.

A similar idea applies with the Pay-Per-Ride bonus. If they didn't offer a bonus, people would have less of an incentive to buy rides in bulk, and they would create long lines at the token booth (meaning each token booth clerk would be able to handle fewer transactions per shift). In addition, there would also be the few pennies they save by having you use one MetroCard rather than 10 SingleRide tickets.

You have to consider what the goal of a transit agency is: to help reduce congestion. That is why they have all of these different fare products.

No, they aren't required to offer any discounts. However, they do so because they feel it is the best way of increasing ridership.

For example, if somebody had to make a commute from say, Staten Island to Eastern Queens, they would have to either pay a double fare ($4.50) and spend over 2.5 hours getting to work, or pay $5.50 plus $2.25 (since they need a second transfer to get further out) to save 30 minutes. They might decide to just get a car and save themselves the time (and part of the expense) of the commute.

A similar idea applies with the Pay-Per-Ride bonus. If they didn't offer a bonus, people would have less of an incentive to buy rides in bulk, and they would create long lines at the token booth (meaning each token booth clerk would be able to handle fewer transactions per shift). In addition, there would also be the few pennies they save by having you use one MetroCard rather than 10 SingleRide tickets.

You have to consider what the goal of a transit agency is: to help reduce congestion. That is why they have all of these different fare products.

That's why I asked because there's talk of more slashing of discounts in the future should their fiscal crisis continue and the question is will congestion increase as a result? Should be interesting to see because oil is going up once again. Even though the MTA buys in bulk, the cost will still increase for them and they may have to pass on those costs in the way of higher fares and reduced discounts. :eek:

Currently the $200.00 - $250.00 a month is still a deal for me, as I currently don't own a car, nor do I really have a need for one since I'm in the city just about everyday, but I've been going back and forth about purchasing one for the last 3 or 4 years just for the hell of it I guess, but if they keep raising the fare, it may be more economical to get a car like a hybrid or something very efficient on fuel.

The higher oil prices might lead more drivers onto the existing system, which might negate the need for a fare hike.

For example, the S54 is a route that has plenty of spare capacity, and it runs through a lot of auto-centric neighborhoods. Maybe the price of fuel rising might lead some people onto the bus.

The higher oil prices might lead more drivers onto the existing system, which might negate the need for a fare hike.

For example, the S54 is a route that has plenty of spare capacity, and it runs through a lot of auto-centric neighborhoods. Maybe the price of fuel rising might lead some people onto the bus.

I've noticed an increase of riders on the X30 and X14 of late, as well as the X2. That could be also attributed to the quick travel times of late.

True. Then again, those riders could've been riders who formerly traveled earlier, and then decided to take advantage of the expanded service.

It's like a slope... You can tell when there's not a lot of congestion because the express buses are fuller on Staten Island particularly the last runs. The X14 used to be packed and then when construction started on the Verrazano, ridership took a nose dive south for a while.

Its amazing that ridership took so long to recover. It's been a while since the construction ended.

Where do you think they were going in the meantime? The X30?

Local officials pressed the MTA to re-route some of the express buses like the X31 to run via New Jersey both ways since it didn't effect the route too much. I stuck with the X13 or X14 for the most part throughout the whole ordeal coming & going home. It was quite painful the whole waiting and all, particularly coming home, but that really depended on how smart the B/O was.

There was a way to bypass the waiting if they pretended like they were heading into Dyker Heights or Bay Ridge and took the 86th st exit instead of continuing on the expressway upto the Verrazano. Taking that exit would lead to a quicker run up to 92nd street which would then lead onto the Verrazano. Some B/Os would go that way and some of them either out of ignorance, adherence to the route, or to collect more overtime would stick to the normal route. :P

I wonder if a bus driver could theoretically take that short cut, drop off the passengers, and then sit at the last stop to collect overtime.

BTW, have you ever told any of the drivers who didn't know about the route that it was a quicker way to SI?

It was quicker at the time than going via the Verrazano only because it allowed us to get into the one open lane on the Verrazano quicker, but we still had to wait a little bit, just not as long as we did while taking the expressway. But waiting 5 minutes certainly beats waiting 20 minutes. I think the B/Os on the express bus care less about overtime and about finishing quicker, esp. if they have a layover.

Archived