New Announcement on the R160 (E) Trains

<6>PelhamExp

Hello everyone, Im Eddie, this is my first post on here.

I just wanted to say that I take the E train everyday to Lexington Avenue and right before it goes into Queens a new announcement has been playing. It says: This is a Queens bound E Train. The Next Stop is Court Sq-23rd Street.

It is very odd not hearing the old, "23rd Street-Ely Avenue", announcement. The new announcement is not the same lady who does the announcements for the (E) Line, instead, its the lady who does the announcements on the (F) Line who seems like she is in a rush.

Quite frankly, I think that the BEST announcements are those by Jessica Ettinger on the Lexington Ave Line. They are loud and clear. The announcements on the R160s sound more computerized as opposed to those on the R142/A that run on Lex.

Anyway, just wanted to share these thoughts.

Guest lance25

First off, welcome to the forums. Enjoy the stay.

Concerning the announcements, they were changed in anticipation for the opening of the new transfer between 45 Rd-Court House Sq (7) and 23 St-Ely Av (E)(M)/Long Island City-Court Sq (G) and its resulting name change. Also changed was the Jay St announcement (at least for the (F)) and the addition of a transfer to the M15 Select Bus Service at 2 Av (F).

Courtesy JamaicaQnzFreak (YouTube)

Welcome Aboard to NYCTF, <6>Pelham(E)express! ;)

I have not been able to catch this announcement yet, but I am very against this new announcement. My favorite R160 announcement used to be "This a Manhattan (E) express train. The next stop is 23 Street-Ely Avenue". I loved how she said "23 Street-Ely Avenue".

Court Square IMO sounds retarted. I hope they DO NOT touch those signs on the platforms. When I saw Jay St-Metrotech I freaked. I don't want 23 Street-Ely Av to come next :tdown:

Anyway, as you can see my signature even has the old (E) signage.

Hopefully some trains have still yet not been updated, so I can catch the old announcement.

So anyways, you like Jessica's announcements on the (4)(5)(6)<6>? Thats good, but have you ever heard Melissa?

Yes. I like ALL of Jessica Ettinger's announcements on the Lex Line. Is Melissa the lady who does the 7th Av Line? If so, I do not enjoy her announcements. I dont know why but I just think Jessica has a better voice.

In regards to the (E) I think they shouldve left the station name as 23rd St-Ely Av. Im sure not much people have noticed the change.. Except those who actually pay attention. Lol

Btw, Thanks for the warm welcome.

No change in station signage for now. I guess will see what happens when (or probably more appropriate to say if ever) the enclosed connection to the 7 actually opens. Having lived right near the station for 3 years I was curious to see where Ely Ave actually is having taken E and F trains through that station for years. Ely Ave was the original name for 23rd St. It is carved into one building. But the Ely Ave reference should be dropped as there is no building which has an Ely Ave address. When non R160 train used to pass through the station some conductors used to wrongly say 23rd St and Ely Ave. Kind of like the way some conductors would say "71st St and And Continental Ave for the 71st-Continental Ave Forest Hills stop. 71st and Continental Ave are one and the same (called Continental in tony Forest Hills Gardens). If anything, the nearest numerical street to the station is 108th St. 71st is right near the Jackson Heights station.

Archived