Spring/Summer 2011 MNRR schedules for New Haven, Harlem and Hudson lines

Shortline Bus

From (MTA) website.

Metro North

Planned Service Changes

New Hudson, Harlem & New Haven Timetables Effective April 3rd, 2011

Our new timetables effective April 3, feature AM Peak and Off Peak service changes for Harlem and New Haven Line customers, as well as minor time adjustments on both lines with the completion of our Bronx Drainage Project. Hudson Line service remains mostly unchanged.

On the Harlem Line:

Those of you on the Upper Harlem traveling to North White Plains can now take the 6:49 AM originating in Southeast (formerly the 7:17 AM from Mt. Kisco). This train makes local stops to White Plains, then Mt. Vernon West, Harlem-125th Street and Grand Central.

In conjunction with this, the 6:58 AM from Southeast train now leaves at 7 AM and no longer makes stops at White Plains and Mt. Vernon West.

On the New Haven Line:

For all you New Haven Line customers who find the bright lights of Manhattan too alluring to pass up, a new Friday evening train departing New Haven Station at 5:22 PM will fit your needs! The train will make stops at South Norwalk and Stamford before arriving in “The City” at 6:56 PM.

Minor Time Adjustments:

With the completion of our important Bronx Drainage Project, there will be minor time adjustments to weekday Off Peak, as well as weekend travel times.

Both Harlem and New Haven Line weekday Off Peak customers will find changes of 1 to 4 minutes in some train times.

Harlem Line weekend warriors will have a little extra time on their hands, as we’re shaving off anywhere from 2 to 3 minutes in travel times. New Haven Line weekend travelers will also see schedule adjustments of 1 to 4 minutes.

For more details, go to our schedules page, or during the week of March 21 pick up a new April 3rd timetable in Grand Central at the Info Booth or ticket windows and at outlying stations."

link http://mta.info/mnr/html/serviceupdates.htm?story=685

As a Hudson Line rider(I know it does not get mind blowing 24/7 crowding like the NH line)who rides it at least 1x a week the cuts from June 2010 has really hurt mostly on late weekday evening Northbound service.

Maybe once a month I go visit my brother who works for MNRR at end of his shift for dinner in the Midtown area.

Big issue that needs to be address is late evening service. Weekend service as well but that for another topic.

The 905pm and 1005pm Poughkeepsie bound are almost always SRO.

Often those riders are those who miss the super express trains to "Upper Hudson" stations. Those 2 trips are usually packed until Tarrytown.

Also there is no reason for the Poughkeepsie trains to stop at Dobbs Ferry and Hastings so early in the evening. The changes are weird as on weekends the late evening Poughkeepsie -bound 905pm and 1005pm bypasses Hastings and Dobbs Ferry.

As for the 1105pm weeknights it is 'hit or miss' it depends mainly if there a Ranger or Knick game at MSG. If so the 1105pm GCT-Poughkeepsie train can also be crowded but not ss SRO as usually the 905pm or 1105pm Northbound trains.

MNRR should really restore the 'super express' on the Hudson line and have it run at least 10pm. Or least have the Poughkeepsie trains leave at 9pm (running non-stop to Tarrytown)and adding a 940pm 'local' to/from Croton Harmon as well.

The area that MNRR should have cut IMO was on late Sunday evening Northbound Hudson Line service. For instance, train #8869 'super express' to Croton Harmon and train # 8873(1208am)to Poughkeepsie should had been cancelled.

Instead on Sundays only #8869 would have left GCT at 1108pm instead and make stops at Marble Hill, Yonkers, Ardsley, Dobbs Ferry, Tarrytown, Scaborough, then all stops to Poughkeepsie.

While the 1208am on Sundays would have left at 12 Midnight and make it a 'local' electric train w/ riders transfering at Croton. The last few Northbound Hudson MNRR trains (other than from Sunday Night Yankee games)are almost always 'empty.'

Too Bad MNRR and the (MTA) are not creative at times.

The 905pm and 1005pm Poughkeepsie bound are almost always SRO.

Often those riders are those who miss the super express trains to "Upper Hudson" stations. Those 2 trips are usually packed until Tarrytown.

Also there is no reason for the Poughkeepsie trains to stop at Dobbs Ferry and Hastings so early in the evening. The changes are weird as on weekends the late evening Poughkeepsie -bound 905pm and 1005pm bypasses Hastings and Dobbs Ferry.

The reason these trains stop at Dobbs and Hastings is because this train is the combination of the Poughkeepise express and the former Croton Harmon local express. Does it 100% make sense? No, but the fact alone that they wanted to combine trains with out effecting service it's what the powers to be decided to do.

The area that MNRR should have cut IMO was on late Sunday evening Northbound Hudson Line service. For instance, train #8869 'super express' to Croton Harmon and train # 8873(1208am)to Poughkeepsie should had been cancelled.

So you mean to tell me that there should be a 3 hour gap in service to stops going from Croton Harmon to Poughkeepise? I have to disagree with you. I've ridden these trains plenty of times and the ridership is definitely there. Does it fill up these trains? Most time no, but at the same point not having any service from 10:00 to 1:00 is going overboard.

Too Bad MNRR and the (MTA) are not creative at times.

I don't think anyone would argue with you about that.

The reason these trains stop at Dobbs and Hastings is because this train is the combination of the Poughkeepise express and the former Croton Harmon local express. Does it 100% make sense? No, but the fact alone that they wanted to combine trains with out effecting service it's what the powers to be decided to do.

So you mean to tell me that there should be a 3 hour gap in service to stops going from Croton Harmon to Poughkeepise? I have to disagree with you. I've ridden these trains plenty of times and the ridership is definitely there. Does it fill up these trains? Most time no, but at the same point not having any service from 10:00 to 1:00 is going overboard.

I don't think anyone would argue with you about that.

No my friend. I meant that the 1112pm Sunday Night would have become a semi express making additional stops at Marble Hill, Yonkers, Tarrytown, Scarborough, then all stops to Poughkeepsie just like the 1208am train.

Thus the semi express to Croton would have been cancelled.

I never meant to say cut all service to/from Poughkeepsie between 11pm-1am.

That way the weekday 'super express' to Poughkeepsie and the limited stop(semi express) to Croton could have ran at least until the 10pm hour Monday-Fridays.

No my friend. I meant that the 1112pm Sunday Night would have become a semi express making additional stops at Marble Hill, Yonkers, Tarrytown, Scarborough, then all stops to Poughkeepsie just like the 1208am train.

Thus the semi express to Croton would have been cancelled.

I never meant to say cut all service to/from Poughkeepsie between 11pm-1am.

That way the weekday 'super express' to Poughkeepsie and the limited stop(semi express) to Croton could have ran at least until the 10pm hour Monday-Fridays.

I could see the 11:12 being combined with the 10:55 on weekends. Why they schedule many of the things the way they do is a mystery.

Archived