Signals on the Queens Boulevard Line express

Joel Up Front

I was on the (E) Tuesday and noticed most of the signals the train passed by were red, but that the train operator never really stopped for them or I never saw them clear.

But I did notice that the train did slow down for certain segments, like in between Forest Hills and Jackson Heights...

I was on the (E) Tuesday and noticed most of the signals the train passed by were red, but that the train operator never really stopped for them or I never saw them clear.

But I did notice that the train did slow down for certain segments, like in between Forest Hills and Jackson Heights...

Once a train bridges the IJ, the signal does to danger. It happens almost the second the train passes the signal.

Only time you'll see the clear for your train is if you're looking out the front. Both rail and subway signals fall to their most restrictive aspect as soon as the train passes. (usually stop, but sometimes not)

Only time you'll see the clear for your train is if you're looking out the front. Both rail and subway signals fall to their most restrictive aspect as soon as the train passes. (usually stop, but sometimes not)

The most restricted signal in the subway is stop.

Well on the NEC, there are certain signals that can't display stop (restricting only).

But this is the NYC subway, a totally different animal then any other system. It used to be in the rules that M/M could come up to a stop signal then key by, but after several collisions, this is no longer allowed with out special instructions.

A little signal theory for ya...

The vast majority of signals will turn red as the front of the train enters the next block. Some signals are tied together and change together and will only drop when the train enters the block following the one it just entered. The only ones that have nothing at all to do with train movement (low home signals) and can be passed on yellow (the tower drops them when it feels like) and not turn red are in yards or mainline storage track (e.g. City Hall yard). The T/O is in trouble if a passenger ever sees their T/O go by one lol, and the only place I know that used to be an exception is between Bronx Pk East And 180th (2). Not entirely sure if the redone signals are up and running yet in that part of the yard, though.

A little signal theory for ya...

The vast majority of signals will turn red as the front of the train enters the next block. Some signals are tied together and change together and will only drop when the train enters the block following the one it just entered. The only ones that have nothing at all to do with train movement (low home signals) and can be passed on yellow (the tower drops them when it feels like) and not turn red are in yards or mainline storage track (e.g. City Hall yard). The T/O is in trouble if a passenger ever sees their T/O go by one lol, and the only place I know that used to be an exception is between Bronx Pk East And 180th (2). Not entirely sure if the redone signals are up and running yet in that part of the yard, though.

The low homeballs in the yards stay yellow until the move is complete, though I have been warned that during a long move (a long train or a move that takes a while) they will sometimes pull the whole line up. As for the signals up in the East, there still unchanged at E180th and Dyer Av. I forget when they are supposed to be changed over to IND signals.

The low homeballs in the yards stay yellow until the move is complete, though I have been warned that during a long move (a long train or a move that takes a while) they will sometimes pull the whole line up. As for the signals up in the East, there still unchanged at E180th and Dyer Av. I forget when they are supposed to be changed over to IND signals.

Nope, tower takes them when they feel like (usually right away so the next move or part of a move can be set up, depends on the yard too), of course the head of the train has passed that signal in question first. Wasn't talking about the Dyre stretch, but A/B lead that feeds off just south of Bx Pk E (the "scenic" route of the (2) line usually used during the AM rush back in the day). Those used to have low homes midway down but I saw them putting up regular home signals now, not sure of those were tied in yet.

Nope, tower takes them when they feel like, of course the head of the train has passed that signal in question first. Wasn't talking about the Dyre stretch, but A/B lead that feeds off just south of Bx Pk E (the "scenic" route of the (2) line usually used during the AM rush back in the day). Those used to have low homes midway down but I saw them putting up regular home signals now, not sure of those were tied in yet.

Ah ok, the last time I was up at the East I on a Low-V and I am almost never up that way.

you wouldnt see them clear unless your up front... by the time they pass the motor cab they usually are red..

Archived