Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
TheBronxBrewery

scrap metal - old subway cars

Hello Forum, does anyone know where old MTA subway cars are scrapped after use? I am looking to track down (and willing to pay for) the metal that makes up the sides of the cars for a creative project. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Does anyone have any ideas? I have seen some pictures of old subway cars in a scrap yard called Bush Terminal...are retired cars sent there? Any idea where that is or who runs it? Thanks!

Well, as far as I know, old subway cars are reefed, that is thrown in the ocean. The redbird reef is where they're put. You can find more info and pics on Google and Wikipedia. Hope this helped...

Only the Redbirds and the R32-42 cars were ever reefed and that program is DONE due too the cars falling apart faster then expected on the ocean floor. Prior to the redbirds being reefed, all scrap cars were taken down to the docks and either scrapped there or floated to NJ for scrapping. The R44s will be trucked, one car a day out of 207th St. to NIMCO, just outside of Newark by truck.

Did you ever find where to find/purchase metal from the sides of old subway cars? I’m searching for some also and stumbled on this thread.