State panel awards 10 percent pay hike to NYPD officers

Trainspotter

State panel awards 10 percent pay hike to NYPD officers

The NYPD's starting salary jumps to nearly $36,000 in a two-year pact that gives rank-and-file police officers a 9.73% compounded raise, authorities said.

Rookie starting pay - which had been slashed to $25,100 in a 2005 contract that crippled recruitment - will rise about 40% to $35,881, authorities said.

"While we wish the starting pay was higher, this is a step in the right direction," said Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly, who said he has been unable to fill Police Academy classes since the $40,000 starting pay was cut.

Under the new contract, top pay for veteran cops rises to $65,382, from $59,588. The union said many of the top earners will get a retro check of about $21,000.

Rookies hired at the basement starting pay of $25,100 also will see a retro check, authorities said.

Full story: nydailynews_logo.gif icon_offsite.png - May 20, 2008

They weren't worried about Seattle much. Westchester, Nassau & especiall Suffolk were snatching them ever since I can remember.

Indeed. Cop i talked to one time at the bethpage motel parking lot after he'd stopped a car that ran the light at that intersection down the road said his son moved to flushing, became a cop, then moved to hicksville after 2 years because him & his wife had a kid. Reason he gave was better paycheck.

- Andy

In the last 3-5 months the NYPD has lost over 400 rookies. It costs the city about $80,000 to train a cadet. So these other departments were saving tons of $$$ on training because these rookies were already trained by the NYPD and ready to hit their streets.

Hopefully this pay hike will somewhat end this mass exodus of police. I can remember as far back as 1991 that recruits were being trained here and then headed out to the Long Island for better pay. So this is definitely not something that started in recent years. It's been a problem for a while.

10% is still not enough, out on the Island they get 2 times the starting pay and they do less work then the NYPD. Plus they now lost vacation and sick days. At least they pay incress will be retro-active. There might still be hope for the Job after all, now if only they can get it up to 50K by the time I get out of college.

Archived