GO On 7 Line Question

traildriver

I occasionally will take the 4:20 AM train from main Street to Times Square on a Monday thru Thursday.

Lately, the service is 'hit or miss'. One day the train will operate fairly on schedule, the next day it will depart Main Street at 4:28, and then get delayed further at Hunters Point waiting to use the northbound track. Usually briefly for the northbound to clear, but recently also for a following work train, resulting in a long delay getting to work. The next day, it will be back to normal.

Is there any way of knowing in advance of which days the schedule is altered? If so, I would take the E or F instead.

Well sometimes the'll do this

(7) Vernon Blvd-Jackson Av and Hunters Point Av Stations

Nights, 12:40 AM* to 5 AM, Mon, Tue and Thu, May 16 - Dec 29

All trains arrive and depart on theTimes Sq-bound track.

* On Thursday, Jun 2 this service change begins at 1:30 AM.

While other times the'll do this

(7) Hunters Point Av and Vernon Blvd-Jackson Av Stations

Nights, 12:40 AM* to 5 AM, Wed, Fri and Sat, until Dec 30 (except May 21)

All trains arrive and depart on the Flushing-bound track.

*On Wed Jun 1 and Fri Jun 3, this service change begins at 1:30 AM.

How long is the delay when there is a work train?

To add, I also have been on SIR when I went with Japanese tourist friend wait long years ago. B/c of trackwork on Tottenville-bound tracks south of Pleasant Plains, at that time we did not know and we thought train was stucked.

After seem to be like long wait, it happened to be be waiting for St. George train to clear, so Tottenville-bound trains were switching to St. George-bound tracks.

I look at the MTA site for service info, but can't seem to find any mention of this. They only seem to give ample notice when they cut service from Times Square to Queensboro Plaza.

Waiting for the work train slowly climbing the grade behind the regular train to clear before we could switch tracks did not add that much extra time, but the combination of the two, plus leaving Flushing eight minutes later than normal added up to about 15 minutes total delay--roughly a 50% longer trip.

While that may not seem like so much, I would have to take a much earler bus at that hour in order to catch the previous train.

Archived