New 14-day MetroCard's not exactly rail big hit

Trainspotter

New 14-day MetroCard's not exactly rail big hit

The new 14-day MetroCard hasn't taken the subways and buses by storm.

Just 1% of trips in March were taken by riders using the rookie MetroCards at subway turnstiles and bus fareboxes, new NYC Transit data show.

The biweekly card - which sells for $47 - was introduced to riders March 2 when the latest round of fare hikes affecting millions of daily riders went into effect.

The Straphangers Campaign for years sought a biweekly MetroCard to provide a less expensive option for those who can't afford 30-Day MetroCards - which now sell for $81. Gene Russianoff of the Straphangers Campaign yesterday said many riders may not yet know that the biweekly card is on NYC Transit's menu.

Full story: nydailynews_logo.gif icon_offsite.png - May 21, 2008

14 day Metrocard comes out more expensive than a 30 day once a month has passed (if you buy 2 14-day unlimiteds in a month). When people are working, they should try to manage their money better, and set aside the $81 bucks little by little, so that they can save $13 bucks at the end of the month.

I'm not surprised not many are using 14-day unlimiteds.

14 day Metrocard comes out more expensive than a 30 day once a month has passed (if you buy 2 14-day unlimiteds in a month). When people are working, they should try to manage their money better, and set aside the $81 bucks little by little, so that they can save $13 bucks at the end of the month.

I'm not surprised not many are using 14-day unlimiteds.

I don't think its supposed to be used like that, i think it's for people who only need the card for 2 weeks, such as people on a business trip, or vacation etc.

- Andy

I don't think its supposed to be used like that, i think it's for people who only need the card for 2 weeks, such as people on a business trip, or vacation etc.

- Andy

Oh believe me they are. Back in the day when I couldn't afford a 30 day, I used to get the 14 day card and just suck up the extra cost at the end of the month. School cards are no good when there is no class, so lot's of my friends did the same too.

Oh believe me they are. Back in the day when I couldn't afford a 30 day, I used to get the 14 day card and just suck up the extra cost at the end of the month. School cards are no good when there is no class, so lot's of my friends did the same too.

I guess some people would end up doing it that way, but in general i think the best use would be for people who only need use of the subway for 2 weeks. Otherwise get a pay per ride card. I have only ever used one unlimited ride card, and it was for a family trip. It's a good deal if you need unlimited rides for only 2 weeks, if not , i'd just get the pay per ride. B)

- Andy

The only unlimited I use is the one day fun pass when I know I'll be riding around on the subway and buses. I don't go to NY everyday so I can get away with a one day fun pass if its necessary for the trip.

Yea, those are handy!

- Andy

Archived