University of Miami involved in a Booster Scandal

R68 Subway Car

hell with the NCAA's "Death Penalty", I think the Miami Hurricanes football program should be expulsed from the NCAA....

Ever since they fell off (competitively), whenever you hear about that school, it's been on some scandal, or some illegal activity/rule breaking type isht... the athletes themselves are bound by nothing - the collective thug mentality they exude is disgusting for college football.... as far as the university goes, the blameworthiness stems from the higher ups on down to the players....

The BS has gone on for too long.....

http://sports.yahoo.com/investigations/news;_ylt=Ar0qGaPW1ti183Xg3nSYq105nYcB?slug=cr-renegade_miami_booster_details_illicit_benefits_081611

Should they get the "death penalty" like SMU in 1987 and is it time for college players to get salaries? Debate!

Before i start i want to say I can't stand college football. The current system is rigged in which polls makes it almost impossible for smaller schools like Boise State to win the title. However that for another discussion.

Back to topic. You want to almost wipe problems with schools like Miami, SMU, and many others in NCAA Football & Basketball Andrew:mad::tdown:?

Yes making them an 'offical' minor league to the NFL and paying the players makes the most sense. However the Ladies will scream bias under 'title 9' and demand they get 'paid' in the sports as well i.e soccer, college basketball and tennis being the most popular sport played by young woman.

I was felt that a new 20-team minor league NFL 'Junior League' even using coroprate names of teams like in Japan baseball would be the answer IMO. Just too bad Members of Congress/Governors of mostly Southern States would feel they will lose enrollment at their schools and $$$. In a smaller state like Alabama, the Crimison Tide and Auburn provides national/international tv exposure to their so called 'schools' and thus attracts not only football players but students all over the U.S. and beyond. Thus College Football is a huge business as well as a marketing tool in which these so called southern schools would never ever attract students from schools like NYU, Stanford, MIT or Duke. Not saying Alabama is an Ivy League school but because of the football team, a kid from Huntsville, AL is more likely to stay 'home' in state, than going to a pretigous school like those mentioned.

Not to mention these major power schools from USC, Norte Dame, Ohio State, Alabama, Texas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, the Fla. so called 'colleges' and others would oppose a minor league fearing their new year's day bowls and BCS championship game would be face serious threat in tv ratings from a better NFL Minor league playoff.

The American public/sports fans is at fault as well for still watching this shame of 'college football.'

Until a NFL minor league is formed similar to MLB and NHL Hockey, or the college players are paid, scandals in NCAA will never end.

Before i start i want to say I can't stand college football. The current system is rigged in which polls makes it almost impossible for smaller schools like Boise State to win the title. However that for another discussion.

Back to topic. You want to almost wipe problems with schools like Miami, SMU, and many others in NCAA Football & Basketball Andrew:mad::tdown:?

Yes making them an 'offical' minor league to the NFL and paying the players makes the most sense. However the Ladies will scream bias under 'title 9' and demand they get 'paid' in the sports as well i.e soccer, college basketball and tennis being the most popular sport played by young woman.

I was felt that a new 20-team minor league NFL 'Junior League' even using coroprate names of teams like in Japan baseball would be the answer IMO. Just too bad Members of Congress/Governors of mostly Southern States would feel they will lose enrollment at their schools and $$$. In a smaller state like Alabama, the Crimison Tide and Auburn provides national/international tv exposure to their so called 'schools' and thus attracts not only football players but students all over the U.S. and beyond. Thus College Football is a huge business as well as a marketing tool in which these so called southern schools would never ever attract students from schools like NYU, Stanford, MIT or Duke. Not saying Alabama is an Ivy League school but because of the football team, a kid from Huntsville, AL is more likely to stay 'home' in state, than going to a pretigous school like those mentioned.

Not to mention these major power schools from USC, Norte Dame, Ohio State, Alabama, Texas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, the Fla. so called 'colleges' and others would oppose a minor league fearing their new year's day bowls and BCS championship game would be face serious threat in tv ratings from a better NFL Minor league playoff.

The American public/sports fans is at fault as well for still watching this shame of 'college football.'

Until a NFL minor league is formed similar to MLB and NHL Hockey, or the college players are paid, scandals in NCAA will never end.

I think it about time they pay college players.

Guys if you have either ESPNU or also ESPN2 they both recently before this latest scandal hit, been playing the rise of Univ. of Miami from a crappy program in 1979 to national champions by 1984.

Miami Univ. was to college football what Georgetown was to College hoops bringining the Gangsta rap culture to those schools. This documentary is from their 30for30 program that first debuted in late 2009. While Sportscenter has become a joke imo, the '30 for 30' program is actually outstanding the best programming in last couple of years on ESPN IMO.

Strange like history repeating itself as 20 years ago around 1990-'91, a similar scandal started by fan Luther Campbell formely of '2 Live Crew" brought penatlies against them as well.:eek:

Worth watching to see the pattern of the so called "U" over last 30 years between 1980-now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8TDMcgq0o4

I think it about time they pay college players.

I agree. Only issue what about issue the college players say from woman's sports also wants to be paid andrew under Title 9 that provides 'equal rights' in college sports? Many of the schools would get out of sports if they paid everyone from college football to members of the woman's soccer team. Thus why i proposed the NFL and NBA have a minor leagues.

F*ck the NCAA. They are the most hypocritical organization on this planet, dare I say worse than the tea party.

They make millions of dollars every year off their unpaid athletes.

They routinely look the other way when their unpaid athletes, in fact, are paid. However, every once in a while they make an example out of someone or some school just to prove they are not asleep at the switch.

They claim their athletes play "for love of the game" while shit like this routinely goes on, and everyone knows about it.

They are a big money organization that claims it is selling a product that is grassroots when in reality they don't give a damn about any fans, they just want their money that comes from the big sponsorships.

They've made a joke out of a college education by giving it to people who couldn't even pass an eighth grade intelligence test, and yet they pawn off those cheesy ads about the "development of the student" during big games. Bullsh*t.

They've also increased the prices of a college education for everyone else since our tuition dollars subsidize the scholarships these people get to chase a ball around. So much for love of the game when they are getting an education for free on our backs...and if you want to talk about SCHOLARships they are the LEAST deserving students.

They have a backasswards championship system, and they probably keep it just so people can debate it which gets the NCAA in the news.

They provide an inferior product to professional sports in every single sport. And somehow people with nothing to use their other hand for love them for it. Pathetic.

The NCAA sucks. Turn that shit off.

great points. If anything those scholarships should be paid for by not the schools or taxpayers but from the tv partners like ESPN and their coroprate backers. Give those scholarship to real students.

F*ck the NCAA. They are the most hypocritical organization on this planet, dare I say worse than the tea party.

They routinely look the other way when their unpaid athletes, in fact, are paid. However, every once in a while they make an example out of someone or some school just to prove they are not asleep at the switch.

They claim their athletes play "for love of the game" while shit like this routinely goes on, and everyone knows about it.

They are a big money organization that claims it is selling a product that is grassroots when in reality they don't give a damn about any fans, they just want their money that comes from the big sponsorships.

They've made a joke out of a college education by giving it to people who couldn't even pass an eighth grade intelligence test, and yet they pawn off those cheesy ads about the "development of the student" during big games. Bullsh*t.

They've also increased the prices of a college education for everyone else since our tuition dollars subsidize the scholarships these people get to chase a ball around. So much for love of the game when they are getting an education for free on our backs...and if you want to talk about SCHOLARships they are the LEAST deserving students.

They have a backasswards championship system, and they probably keep it just so people can debate it which gets the NCAA in the news.

They provide an inferior product to professional sports in every single sport. And somehow people with nothing to use their other hand for love them for it. Pathetic.

Up until this year I just saw college football as a NFL prep sport with a messed up BCS system. Obviously, I was wrong. There is something wrong with the NCAA as an organization. They need to stop kissing the asses of SEC University Presidents, there's a reason the last 5 national champs came out of the SEC, and reform the sport of college football. I would not pay athletes though. What makes a football player who could be barely passing his classes more deserving of money than a student with a 4.0 GPA? Give me a playoff and clearly outline recruiting rules to clean up the shady image of FBS football.

Up until this year I just saw college football as a NFL prep sport with a messed up BCS system. Obviously, I was wrong. There is something wrong with the NCAA as an organization. They need to stop kissing the asses of SEC University Presidents, there's a reason the last 5 national champs came out of the SEC, and reform the sport of college football. I would not pay athletes though. What makes a football player who could be barely passing his classes more deserving of money than a student with a 4.0 GPA? Give me a playoff and clearly outline recruiting rules to clean up the shady image of FBS football.

JW you missing the point. ESPN/Fox Sports Net just signed a multi year $5-10 Billion tv contract with NCAA football. No matter what you try, until players are paid(you also have to pay the ladies players as well under title 9 rules)this crap of corruption will continue.

The good ole days whether it's era of Bear Bryant Eddie Robinson or Knute Rockne are long gone forever in college football.

JW you missing the point. ESPN/Fox Sports Net just signed a multi year $5-10 Billion tv contract with NCAA football. No matter what you try, until players are paid(you also have to pay the ladies players as well under title 9 rules)this crap of corruption will continue.

The good ole days whether it's era of Bear Bryant Eddie Robinson or Knute Rockne are long gone forever in college football.

The idea of paying college athletes is ridiculous. If a guy is skilled enough he will get huge paychecks as a pro so why pay him early. The other athletes should be on track to graduation i hope where they should be able to make more than the NCAA would be giving them. You don't have to make money because you're on ESPN every Saturday in the fall.

I may disagree with the tea party line, but I agree with your post. The NCAA is ass-backwords in so many ways. They should have a playoff system just like the other sports. They should also give these players money to get rid of this corruption involving boosters.

The idea of paying college athletes is ridiculous. If a guy is skilled enough he will get huge paychecks as a pro so why pay him early. The other athletes should be on track to graduation i hope where they should be able to make more than the NCAA would be giving them. You don't have to make money because you're on ESPN every Saturday in the fall.

They said the same thing about athletes in the olympics. That until the old Soviet block nations i.e Russia, Germany paid their their athletes. So JW let be real. While it would be nice if college sports followed that, in 2011 where $$$ talks and BS walks it's a dream now.

Thus to solve this problem, either pay the college guys (why should a football or basketball coach make as much as $5 Million a year?-not counting endorsements)or create a minor league NFL/NBA system.

To add on to this, I heard a brilliant point made by Mike Francesa about this issue yesterday on his radio show. He was angered by these a__hole coaches like Pete Carroll who basically drop atomic bombs on college programs and then jump into the NFL and face not one penalty for their actions. I mean think of this: Carroll turned USC into a collegiate football version of Hiroshima, got his ass in the NFL, got into the playoffs without having the respect to field a .500 team, and stealing a game from the Saints. In addition to that, you got freaking Jim Tressel hanging out with the Cleveland Browns. Unbelievable.

They said the same thing JW about athletes in the olympics. That until the old Soviet block nations i.e Russia, Germany paid their their athletes. So JW let be real. While it would be nice if college sports followed that, in 2011 where $$$ talks and BS walks it's a dream now.

Thus to solve this problem, either pay the college guys (why should a football or basketball coach make as much as $5 Million a year?-not counting endorsements)or create a minor league NFL/NBA system.

Plus the current college football system makes it almost impossible for schools like Boise State, BYU, etc to win the championship.

Last time I checked the purpose of college was an education. If Ivy League students aren't getting paid for being geniuses than a football player essentially auditioning for the NFL shouldn't either. Boosters would not provide services to athletes that didn't want it. These foolish athletes think that their ticket to the good life starts in college. Instead of appeasing these people, I would suspend any player involved with a booster for at least half of the season. The coach should be fined at least $200,000 plus suspended two games. If these players want money to spend they can GET A JOB like everyone else does. A college football or basketball player is not special.

Last time I checked the purpose of college was an education. If Ivy League students aren't getting paid for being geniuses than a football player essentially auditioning for the NFL shouldn't either. Boosters would not provide services to athletes that didn't want it. These foolish athletes think that their ticket to the good life starts in college. Instead of appeasing these people, I would suspend any player involved with a booster for at least half of the season. The coach should be fined at least $200,000 plus suspended two games. If these players want money to spend they can GET A JOB like everyone else does. A college football or basketball player is not special.

1 problem. Many of those scholarships does not allow to have a part time job.

1 problem. Many of those scholarships does not allow to have a part time job.

Don't give them scholarships. Make them get into the school like everyone else (as a student), and pay their own way, and they can work and play sports and study as much as they want while they're there.

If they need to take out loans to do so they can do so like everyone else and pay them back later.

If they can't afford it, then maybe they should go play in a football "juniors" lots of hockey players do it, after all, and make the NHL without ever having played college.

Don't give them scholarships. Make them get into the school like everyone else (as a student), and pay their own way, and they can work and play sports and study as much as they want while they're there.

If they need to take out loans to do so they can do so like everyone else and pay them back later.

If they can't afford it, then maybe they should go play in a football "juniors" lots of hockey players do it, after all, and make the NHL without ever having played college.

I agree subway guy on the 'junior' aka minor league for the NFL. Problem is, right now, there no 'juniors' or minor leagues for kids trying to get into the NFL. Even trying into Canada's CFL, I think requires at least 2 years of college ball.

It's also an issue but on smaller degrees for basketball players trying to get into the NBA as well. So that why schools like Alabama, Miami, Ohio state, USC, etc. who committ these scandals are a 'psedo' prep teams for the NFL.

At least the NHL and MLB gets credit for having a minor league/'junior' feeder system for those who want to try to turn 'pro' and not getting colleges involved.

I put the blame on the NFL Owners who are billionaries and too cheap to create a 'junior' or minor leagues for these young men who either don't want to go to or should not be in these so called 'schools' with grades a regular student would never be accepted into. At least in the NBA, HS grads can play in Europe for a year or two before they try to get to to pro hoops, if they don't want to go to colleges.

You make a great point subway guy and not making excuses. Just telling you the system as it's currently set-up.

I agree subway guy on the 'junior' aka minor league for the NFL. Problem is, right now, there no 'juniors' or minor leagues for kids trying to get into the NFL.

So make one. Give all the 50 year old single weirdos who aren't in to trains something else to jerk off to. Isn't that what Arena Football is anyway?

So make one. Give all the 50 year old single weirdos who aren't in to trains something else to jerk off to. Isn't that what Arena Football is anyway?

LOL. I see your not into the NFL subway guy. The arena football league has more than 'washed' up 40-50 year old former NFL and college stars. They also have very good players from say small colleges who were not drafted. Perfect example is future NFL Hall of Famer Kurt Warner who made to 3 super bowls and '1' championship.

So in sense, the Arena league is actually just '1' notch below the NFL (their version of AAA minor league baseball)and probably better players than the CFL. So possibly the idea of using arena football as a 'junior' league is a good idea to look at.

LOL. I see your not into the NFL subway guy. The arena football league has more than 'washed' up 40-50 year old former NFL and college stars. They also have very good players from say small colleges who were not drafted. Perfect example is future NFL Hall of Famer Kurt Warner who made to 3 super bowls and '1' championship.

So in sense, the Arena league is actually just '1' notch below the NFL (their version of AAA minor league baseball)and probably better players than the CFL. So possibly the idea of using arena football as a 'junior' league is a good idea to look at.

I have no problem with the NFL.

I have a huge problem with the fact that people obsess over the league 24/7 even when it is not in season, or during meaningless preseason exhibitions, and talk about it all week even though there's not a game for 1 and sometimes 2 weeks.

To add on to this, I heard a brilliant point made by Mike Francesa about this issue yesterday on his radio show. He was angered by these a__hole coaches like Pete Carroll who basically drop atomic bombs on college programs and then jump into the NFL and face not one penalty for their actions. I mean think of this: Carroll turned USC into a collegiate football version of Hiroshima, got his ass in the NFL, got into the playoffs without having the respect to field a .500 team, and stealing a game from the Saints. In addition to that, you got freaking Jim Tressel hanging out with the Cleveland Browns. Unbelievable.

College basketball & football coaches are absolute male divas....

Same problem the MLB has with its umpires !

Archived