Original Paint

MHV9218

Just wondering here, knowing that buses generally get repainted with each three or six-year overhaul, how many buses built before 2005 are still wearing their original coats of paint?

As far as I know every RTS and every O5 has been repainted as a blackback or a whiteback at least once, but it's a different story with the D60s.

I don't know of any original 1xxx or 5250-5509 buses, but I know 5543 and 5575 are still wearing their original coats of paint in the 2002-2003 series, with a handful of 5600s too. In terms of O7s 7596, 7672, 7718, and 6490 are all sporting their original paint as well. And is that it?

It's more like every 8 to 12 years when a bus get painted, and 12 is very rare to see. Most other times when u see a bus get a fresh full paint job, its unscheduled and is really needed. Every single 1xxx and 11xx has been painted at least once. The 52xx - 57xx artics are going through their 8year program now and should be done in the next 2 years b/c of the back up at Zerega (to my knowledge artics only go to zerega not grand ave, crosstown, or ENY)

Interesting so the 6-year General Overhaul doesn't really happen any more? I remember ENY CMF doing a 3-year upgrade, six-year g.o., and a 12-year upgrade way back when.

yeah, its 4 and 8 now, with paint coming only on the 8th year...budget cut backs

Archived