LIB Mitchel Field question

Joel Up Front

When did the current MF depot open? I've always wondered that. RVC depot was of course the old Bee Line garage simply converted into a CNG facility, and that's been around since at least the 1930s.

And I thought I read that an old LI PBL depot was on that site before MSBA was formed.

When did the current MF depot open? I've always wondered that. RVC depot was of course the old Bee Line garage simply converted into a CNG facility, and that's been around since at least the 1930s.

And I thought I read that an old LI PBL depot was on that site before MSBA was formed.

had to be around the 1970s, Quenton Roosevelt Blvd wasnt there untill the 70s, before that there was a much larger freight depot just north of there.

had to be around the 1970s, Quenton Roosevelt Blvd wasnt there untill the 70s, before that there was a much larger freight depot just north of there.

The garage was originally named after State Senator Norman J. Levy, and the (MTA) often forgets that he was a member of the (MTA) review board and managed to divert money to said agency during their dark ages in the '80s. He died in 1998 at 67 and that decal probably dates back to that time period, because it wasn't just the MSBA that was near the brink, it was the entire (MTA). The Norman J. Levy Park and Preserve was named for him, people just forget about what he did for mass transit here.

The garage was originally named after State Senator Norman J. Levy, and the (MTA) often forgets that he was a member of the (MTA) review board and managed to divert money to said agency during their dark ages in the '80s. He died in 1998 at 67 and that decal probably dates back to that time period, because it wasn't just the MSBA that was near the brink, it was the entire (MTA). The Norman J. Levy Park and Preserve was named for him, people just forget about what he did for mass transit here.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Joel --

The new yard (with enclosed fleet storage) opened in either 1987 or 1988 if my memory serves me. That yard was Hempstead Bus Lines back when the privates were rolled up (I remember it being on Commercial Ave. when my DAd used to take me to ride with him...) -- now I cannot swear it was the same exact piece of property, but when I started with MSBA in 1984, it was pretty familiar.

Hope that helps, but I doubt it. Getting old...

Archived