Subway - What If?

VWM

The Lexington Av local tracks end at Brooklyn Bridge. Trains would have to merge onto the express tracks to reach Bowling Green.

Did you read, I said clearly, NORTHBOUND. Downtown (2) runs 7 Av Express. Downtown (4) runs Lexington Av Express. Downtown (5) Lexington Av Express to Bowling Green/Flatbush Av. Where is the problem there?

Edited by Brighton Express

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

NEXT:

Due to a rowdy passenger, an (E) train is stalled at West 4th Street northbound, partially over the switch to 6th Avenue. (redering it unusable) Reroute trains.

(E) 2 Av to Jamaica Ctr (6 Av Local/Queens Blvd Express)

(M) Metro Av to Chambers St/Broad St (Nassau St Local)

NOTE

(C) [NORTHBOUND] Trains run 8 Av Express between Canal St and 59 St.

Edited by Brighton Express

Did you read, I said clearly, NORTHBOUND. Downtown (2) runs 7 Av Express. Downtown (4) runs Lexington Av Express. Downtown (5) Lexington Av Express to Bowling Green/Flatbush Av. Where is the problem there?

The uptown (2)(4)(5)(6) would still share one track between Bowling Green and Brooklyn Bridge. Track Map

Anyways, here's a new scenario:

The following are unusable

- Entire Bowery (J)(Z) station

- Middle track Essex St (J)(M)(Z)

- UPTOWN express track at West 4th Street (B)(D)(F)(M)

The uptown (2)(4)(5)(6) would still share one track between Bowling Green and Brooklyn Bridge. Track Map

No (J), (M) or (Z) trains b/w their eastern terminals and Marcy Avenue. Any (M) trains en-route towards Metropolitan Avenue continue on their route, and any (M) trains en-route to Forest Hills lay up at Jamaica Yard. (J)/(Z) trains in Manhattan become <R>'s running to Coney Island Yard to lay up.

(B): Suspended b/w 59th Street and Prospect Park. Any trains in this section of the route follow solution below:

(D): Via local b/w B'way-Lafayette and W. 4th Street. (switching after the station)

(F): No change.

Edited by Threxx

- Entire Bowery J / Z station

- Middle track Essex St J / M / Z

- UPTOWN express track at West 4th Street B / D / F / M

This is just begging for (J)(Z) to 145 St fowming, but I'm NOT taking the bait :lol:!

My first thought was to find a way to turn the (J)(Z) in Manhattan, but since that would probably mean 34 St-Herald Sq or 34 St-Penn Station, I decided that it was more trouble than it was worth...I'll follow the K.I.S.S. rule:

(J)(Z) terminates at Marcy Av, Myrtle Av, or Broadway Jct. (J)(Z) riders in Brooklyn are advised to transfer to the (A)(C)(L) at Broadway Jct.

(B)(D) uptown trains stop on the local track at W 4 St (or to avoid the wheel detectors, they can run local all the way to 34 St)

(D) select Manhattan-bound trains terminate at Whitehall St

(F) select Queens-bound trains run via the (C) line from Jay St to W 4 St

(M) select Manhattan-bound trains terminate at either Myrtle Av or Marcy Av

Note: I decided to try to keep trains as close as possible to their normal routes, because as Trainmaster5 said, it's a hassle to return the trains from faraway places when normal service resumes. For example, if the (B)(D) terminated at 57 St/7 Av via the (Q) line, there would be no available (B)(D) trains on the normal route for a while after the service change ends, while crews try desperately to transport the equipment back to the 6 Av/Concourse lines.

No (J), (M) or (Z) trains b/w their eastern terminals and Marcy Avenue. Any (M) trains en-route towards Metropolitan Avenue continue on their route, and any (M) trains en-route to Forest Hills lay up at Jamaica Yard.

- 1 That's going to overload Marcy Av terminal, right?

(J)/(Z) trains in Manhattan become <R>'s running to Coney Island Yard to lay up.

- 2 Fowmyland. Let's stick with regular, yellow, CIRCULAR (R) s, shall we?

(B): Suspended b/w 59th Street and Prospect Park. Any trains in this section of the route follow solution below:

- 1 Wait, aren't you going to delay (A), (C), and (D) trains?

(D): Via local b/w B'way-Lafayette and W. 4th Street. (switching after the station)

+ 1

+ 1

Total: - 2 Edited by TheSubwayStation

(J)(Z) No service b/w Marcy Avenue or Broadway Junction & Manhattan.

(M) No service b/w Myrtle Avenue & 71 Avenue.

-------------------------------------------------

(B) No service b/w 34 Street-Herald Square & Broadway-Laffayette St.

(D) Uptown trains stops at local track.

Total: - 2

I was just using the <R> designation so people would know the route, the trains wouldn't be in service...

As for (B) trains delaying (A), (C), and (D) trains, they'd also terminate at Penn Station and Herald Square to save space. Most trains would probably have to follow the same solution as the (D) is.

And it wouldn't:

(Z) trains would go out of service at Hewes Street and lay up on the center track. (6 TPH)

Marcy Avenue can handle the remaining 16 TPH...

Edited by Threxx

Updated rating:

No (J), (M) or (Z) trains b/w their eastern terminals and Marcy Avenue. Any (M) trains en-route towards Metropolitan Avenue continue on their route, and any (M) trains en-route to Forest Hills lay up at Jamaica Yard.

- 1 That's going to overload Marcy Av terminal, right?

(J)/(Z) trains in Manhattan become <R>'s running to Coney Island Yard to lay up.

+ 2 Understanding that the trains aren't in service, that's actually a smart plan to account for all en-route trains.

0 After reading your post explaining that you'd also terminate (B) trains at 34 St Penn Station/HSQ, I see that this is a perfectly good solution. Although, I'd rather re-route select (F) trains (keeping the terminals the same, KISS of course) rather than chopping up the (B).

+ 1

+ 1

Total: + 3 Edited by TheSubwayStation

Y U NO CHANGE TOP SCORE BACK TO +2?

NEXT:

All switches at the following locations are impassible:

Myrtle Avenue-Broadway, (J), (M), (Z)

Broadway Junction, (J), (L), (Z)

Crescent Street, (J), (Z)

Reroute trains.

Edited by Threxx

I was just using the <R> designation so people would know the route, the trains wouldn't be in service...

What the heck is the <R>? That's a route from the 90s, and this is 2012.

That's like if something happened and (F) trains needed to terminate at 2nd Avenue, you wouldn't make them (V) trains even though that doesn't exist, right?

What the heck is the <R>? That's a route from the 90s, and this is 2012.

That's like if something happened and (F) trains needed to terminate at 2nd Avenue, you wouldn't make them (V) trains even though that doesn't exist, right?

You did not read my post, it was a reference so people know what I'm talking about when I say (J) and (Z) trains to lay up at CI Yard...

And that's the post you quoted? smh...

Y U NO CHANGE TOP SCORE BACK TO +2?

Fixed it.

And it wouldn't:

(Z) trains would go out of service at Hewes Street and lay up on the center track. (6 TPH)

Marcy Avenue can handle the remaining 16 TPH...

With this edit included, your score goes up to + 5.

(J)(Z) No service b/w Marcy Avenue or Broadway Junction & Manhattan.

+ 1

(M) No service b/w Myrtle Avenue & 71 Avenue.

- 3 The en-route (M) trains in Manhattan/Queens need to be rerouted. Sorry, but your solution here isn't possible.

-------------------------------------------------

(B) No service b/w 34 Street-Herald Square & Broadway-Laffayette St.

+ 1

(D) Uptown trains stops at local track.

- 1 You can't have (D) trains passing by 34 St on the same tracks where (B) trains are terminating.

Total: - 2

NEXT:

All switches at the following locations are impassible:

Myrtle Avenue-Broadway, (J), (M), (Z)

Broadway Junction, (J), (L), (Z)

Crescent Street, (J), (Z)

Reroute trains.

(J) No service b/w Hewes Street & Cypress Hills. Trains in between these stations stay at those stations until problem is cleared.

(L) No service b/w Myrtle-Wyckoff Avenues & Atlantic Avenue. Northbound trains b/w Broadway Jct. & Myrtle/Wyckoff Aves continue as normal. Southbound trains stop at the next station and stay.

(M) No service b/w Hewes Street & Central Avenue (single tracked).

(Z) Suspended. Other trains turn into (J)'s.

How you like that, TSS???

Edited by TrainFanInfinity