Time, or Tolls? Doing the New Math for New Jersey Commuters

"It sounds like a problem from a physics exam: Two drivers left a parking lot in East Brunswick, N.J., at the same moment on Tuesday morning. One swallowed hard and took the New Jersey Turnpike, paying tolls that had jumped 53 percent on New Year’s Day. The other took Routes 1 and 1/9, toll free.

Which one arrived first at their destination, the Dunkin’ Donuts inside the Exxon station on Jersey Avenue, near the entrance to the Holland Tunnel in Jersey City?

The two drivers — actually, two reporters taking part in a not-very-scientific race — were not the only ones doing the time-versus-toll calculus on Tuesday, the first workday since the latest toll increase on the turnpike. Tolls on the Garden State Parkway also went up, by 50 percent."

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/04/nyregion/time-or-tolls-the-new-math-for-new-jersey-commuters.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=new%20jersey%20turnpike&st=cse

New Jerseyans knew the second step was coming, and as 2011 ended, Gov. Chris Christie made it clear that he had had nothing to do with the increases.

“Oh, and by the way, I’m not raising tolls 50 percent,” he said on radio station WFAN-AM on Dec. 23.

“Who is?” the interviewer asked.

“Jon Corzine did,” Mr. Christie said, referring to his predecessor, who favored the plan to raise money for road and bridge work.

Tolls tolls tolls

I'd opt on Route 1 and/or NJTransit anytime over the Turnpike nowdays...

Another trick besides Route 1 when I am driving in South NJ near the Turnpike is taking I-295 from the Del. Bridge or from the Philly Bridges(i.e Walt Whitman or Ben Franklin)as well. Plus one of my brothers lives right off an exit off I-295 in Deptford as well.

For Route 1, it best to use it during overnights/late evenings. Daytime Traffic can be backed up especially on Friday and Saturday afternoons from mall traffic i.e Woodbridge Mall. In that case if coming from Manhattan, it's better to use the Turnpike then at least until the Woodbridge area.

I wonder if this competition with US1/9 vs I95 Tpk would cause NJ DOT to add tolls along the US1 and 9 corridors.

I'm still waiting for the status on the I295 in South Jersey getting any Tolls any time soon, since its sorta competing with the Turnpike.

I'd opt on Route 1 and/or NJTransit anytime over the Turnpike nowdays...

Yeah but US1 / US9 doesn't remain a hybrid freeway for too long. They end up becoming a regular street. Even tho the speed limit would be high. Don't know if traffic would be light due to trucks swarming around.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived