Quick question about n16

Marctalky1

What is the purpose of n16 that terminate in hempstead? When I went on this today I was the only one on the bus until I got off at NCC student union. Isn't there sufficient bus service from other lines so that you don't need this?

They're meant to be a frequent shuttle service for NCC passengers.

I'm surprised that they're empty, though!

Apparently, according to the (MTA) report last year, the N16 had good ridership, about 3,200 daily weekday riders. It could do without weekend service which is what they proposed in the 2011 proposed (MTA) cuts. I wonder where that number comes from, since, like you, every N16 I ever saw was empty as well. Although, I mostly saw them at Roosevelt Field and that's the end of the route. But no, there isn't any other route that can replace the N16 which travels down South Franklin St and Hempstead Ave to Rockville Centre.

What is the purpose of n16 that terminate in hempstead? When I went on this today I was the only one on the bus until I got off at NCC student union. Isn't there sufficient bus service from other lines so that you don't need this?

They're meant to be a frequent shuttle service for NCC passengers.

I'm surprised that they're empty, though!

Yes,they're short turns to provide service to NCC. The Spring semester hasn't started yet, believe me the N16 gets the heaviest ridership from NCC, especially to/from Hempstead.

Apparently, according to the (MTA) report last year, the N16 had good ridership, about 3,200 daily weekday riders. It could do without weekend service which is what they proposed in the 2011 proposed (MTA) cuts. I wonder where that number comes from, since, like you, every N16 I ever saw was empty as well. Although, I mostly saw them at Roosevelt Field and that's the end of the route. But no, there isn't any other route that can replace the N16 which travels down South Franklin St and Hempstead Ave to Rockville Centre.

He's talking about the short turns between Roosevelt Field and Hempstead. When NCC starts its spring semester you'll see many riders on the route. The heaviest ridership is between Hempstead Bus Terminal and NCC, the bus actually gets "crush loaded". Many students just need to get to/from Roosevelt Field or Hempstead to connect to/from another bus.

So basically, between Hempstead and NCC you have two choices. The N16 and N35. Most riders prefer the N16 because it's the quickest and most direct. From Hempstead, the N16 goes to NCC first, then Roosevelt field. The N35 goes to Roosevelt Field, then NCC. So there is a strong preference for the N16.

I'll add this to visualize it:

Hempstead to NCC:

N16: Hempstead - NCC - Roosevelt Field

N35: Hempstead - Roosevelt Field - NCC

NCC to Hempstead:

N16: Roosevelt Field - NCC - Hempstead

N35: NCC - Roosevelt Field - Hempstead

(On a side note you can see from the routing that those going between Roosevelt Field and Hempstead prefer the N35)

Those transferring from Roosevelt field have several choices, N16, N35, N43, N45, N51 depending on which bus comes first, or which side of the campus they'd like to alight at. Though, of the most frequent routes from the mall (N16 & N35) the N35 is the quickest route to NCC, because it turns in at the first entrance by the Book Store, as opposed to the N16 which turns in at Endo Blvd. The N43 is the 3rd most frequent from Roosevelt Field and that goes in at Endo Blvd as well.

Yes,they're short turns to provide service to NCC. The Spring semester hasn't started yet, believe me the N16 gets the heaviest ridership from NCC, especially to/from Hempstead.

He's talking about the short turns between Roosevelt Field and Hempstead. When NCC starts its spring semester you'll see many riders on the route. The heaviest ridership is between Hempstead Bus Terminal and NCC, the bus actually gets "crush loaded". Many students just need to get to/from Roosevelt Field or Hempstead to connect to/from another bus.

So basically, between Hempstead and NCC you have two choices. The N16 and N35. Most riders prefer the N16 because it's the quickest and most direct. From Hempstead, the N16 goes to NCC first, then Roosevelt field. The N35 goes to Roosevelt Field, then NCC. So there is a strong preference for the N16.

I'll add this to visualize it:

Hempstead to NCC:

N16: Hempstead - NCC - Roosevelt Field

N35: Hempstead - Roosevelt Field - NCC

NCC to Hempstead:

N16: Roosevelt Field - NCC - Hempstead

N35: NCC - Roosevelt Field - Hempstead

(On a side note you can see from the routing that those going between Roosevelt Field and Hempstead prefer the N35)

Those transferring from Roosevelt field have several choices, N16, N35, N43, N45, N51 depending on which bus comes first, or which side of the campus they'd like to alight at. Though, of the most frequent routes from the mall (N16 & N35) the N35 is the quickest route to NCC, because it turns in at the first entrance by the Book Store, as opposed to the N16 which turns in at Endo Blvd. The N43 is the 3rd most frequent from Roosevelt Field and that goes in at Endo Blvd as well.

Wouldn't it be a good idea then to only have this run while school is in session? It seems like a good idea on how to save money.

The N35 will obviously take longer to get to Hempstead because it has to go down Stewart Avenue, up to RF, and then loop back around to Stewart, and that's about 15-20 minutes in itself. What it does avoid, however, is the Student Union and the County's Social Service building a quarter mile away, and if one of those two isn't crowded, the other one is and people will have to be flagged.

Wouldn't it be a good idea then to only have this run while school is in session? It seems like a good idea on how to save money.

The N35 will obviously take longer to get to Hempstead because it has to go down Stewart Avenue, up to RF, and then loop back around to Stewart, and that's about 15-20 minutes in itself. What it does avoid, however, is the Student Union and the County's Social Service building a quarter mile away, and if one of those two isn't crowded, the other one is and people will have to be flagged.

Yes, it would make sense to have it run when school is in session, but the school's schedule is different from the pick schedule, so I'm not sure how they would accomplish that. Also, while the short turns are mainly for NCC service, like Joel Up Front has mentioned, the route also serves the Social Service building, so it helps provide frequent service there as well.

I have another Quick question regarding run boxes what number do they use for the 22A? Also do drivers get in trouble for not having the right route and number on the box? I am wondering last night because I was on the last 22 and the run box stated 2001 which stands for n20 run 1 which doesn't even make sense. I pointed it out to him and he said I usually only do the 20.

I have another Quick question regarding run boxes what number do they use for the 22A? Also do drivers get in trouble for not having the right route and number on the box? I am wondering last night because I was on the last 22 and the run box stated 2001 which stands for n20 run 1 which doesn't even make sense. I pointed it out to him and he said I usually only do the 20.

Good question, I'm not sure since the run boxes were only added with the MTA's recent order IIRC. I'm not sure if Violia will be using them really. The older buses don't have any.

Good question, I'm not sure since the run boxes were only added with the MTA's recent order IIRC. I'm not sure if Violia will be using them really. The older buses don't have any.

I saw 7901 being used today midday on the 79 but I don't know the accuracy of it

Archived