Car Inspector (exam #2708)

Blitz

As some of you know from another thread, I am considering switching from DOB to CED. I got my admission ticket for the car inspector exam (2708) and I'm trying to gather information. I know buses and a lot of bus personnel, not subways. Does anyone have any general information on what i can expect to see on this test? Or does anyone know if the passbook for this test will be any help? Any help will be greatly appreciated

I took the Exam 8080 test, it was just the practical test at the time. My understanding is they added a written test to filter out the less qualified, over 2000 took the 8080 exam and they only forwarded around 460 names for a hire list.

Can't tell you anything about the written test, the practical was three parts

1) a wiring diagram, a few push buttons, relays and diodes and a battery mounted on a board. wire it correctly to the diagram. only allowed one or two corrections.. then it was a failed if incorrect. Time limit was about 30-40 minutes.

2) mechanical aptitude, take apart an air regulator and adjust the spring to a dimension with a 6 inch scale and reassemble according to the drawing.

3)electrical troubleshooting, really kind of sucked, old style 3 switch door assembly wired to a few lights, push buttons and a battery. Not a multiple choice, but write down 3 things wrong with the circuits.Wires are not numbered/labeled can't cut the tie wraps the drawing was crap (I have done electrical trouble shooting full time for over 15 years, and it was hard for me)

All three parts had time limits, it really seemed to be enough time but it does tend to make you nervous.

If you search Exam 8080 you will get a little back ground on the last car inspector exam.

It took almost three years from applying online to my hire date 10/10/2011

Hey best of luck to you

I took the Exam 8080 test, it was just the practical test at the time. My understanding is they added a written test to filter out the less qualified, over 2000 took the 8080 exam and they only forwarded around 460 names for a hire list.

Can't tell you anything about the written test, the practical was three parts

1) a wiring diagram, a few push buttons, relays and diodes and a battery mounted on a board. wire it correctly to the diagram. only allowed one or two corrections.. then it was a failed if incorrect. Time limit was about 30-40 minutes.

2) mechanical aptitude, take apart an air regulator and adjust the spring to a dimension with a 6 inch scale and reassemble according to the drawing.

3)electrical troubleshooting, really kind of sucked, old style 3 switch door assembly wired to a few lights, push buttons and a battery. Not a multiple choice, but write down 3 things wrong with the circuits.Wires are not numbered/labeled can't cut the tie wraps the drawing was crap (I have done electrical trouble shooting full time for over 15 years, and it was hard for me)

All three parts had time limits, it really seemed to be enough time but it does tend to make you nervous.

If you search Exam 8080 you will get a little back ground on the last car inspector exam.

It took almost three years from applying online to my hire date 10/10/2011

Hey best of luck to you

Thanks bro...BTW how do you like the job so far?? I've been hearing mixed reviews from people who have friends in CED. I'd rather hear from someone who is actually doing the job.

Archived