Woman struck and killed by bus at dangerous Queens intersection

Acela Express

If you think Main st/ Northern Blvd is bad, try Main st/ 39ave. When traffic on Main st has the green light, there is a dont walk sign for pedestrians crossing 39ave which people always ignore. Turning vehicles have the right of way but pedestrians completely ignore them and cross as if they have the right to, so cars end up yielding to them, which backs up the flow of traffic on Main St. The way that intersection is set up, there is no crosstown traffic on either side so people feel they always have the right of way, despite the red hand that tells them otherwise. When im making a relief over there and cross that street, I always stop and wait for the walk sign, or at least make sure no vehicles are trying to turn, while people just walk by me in both directions. Im tempted to cross with them but I respect the right of way of the vehicles and just stand there

Oh yeah, I'm well aware of that intersection

Walking blindly with her phone

And the bus operator is still blamed.

This is what happens with most motor vehicle accidents. The operator of a motor vehicle has a higher requirement for being careful than a pedestrian, and if both the driver and pedestrain were doing something wrong, usually the driver gets the worst of the blame in the end.

That being said, if a driver does nothing wrong and the pedestrian is totally at fault, then the driver does not get in trouble. BUt the assumption is usually that the driver is the one that must go out of his way to be super-duper careful.

Archived