Commuting for First Time to Penn

carguy

So for the first time in my life I will be taking the LIRR daily from the Port Jeff Branch to Penn Station. I will most likely be using the Huntington station.

I have no idea what to expect. I am in the of getting a monthly pass for NY. I assume this can be used for any peak/non-peak train coming or going to/from Penn.

I really have no idea what to expect.

Noise level in the cars?

Comfort. Are the seats comfortable? Big enough? I am not obese but I am also not a waif.

Crowding? I am planning on taking the 6:36 or 7:03AM train to Penn, both of which transfer at Jamaica?

Am I going to encounter 'saved seats'? I.e. is it first-come, first-served or do high school-li ke cliques rules the seats?

Climate control? Are the cars reasonably cooled/heated?

Smells?

As far as transferring at Jamaica, is the 2nd train across the platform generally or do I have to hunt around? And how do I find where that train is?

Is there wifi available on the train? Is it free or pay per use?

I really have no idea what to expect. I am transit-dumb. :)

Thanks

Wifi? Are you kidding, you're lucky that there's a train! ;)

Lol Joe

So for the first time in my life I will be taking the LIRR daily from the Port Jeff Branch to Penn Station. I will most likely be using the Huntington station.

I have no idea what to expect. I am in the of getting a monthly pass for NY. I assume this can be used for any peak/non-peak train coming or going to/from Penn.

Noise level in the cars?

Comfort. Are the seats comfortable? Big enough? I am not obese but I am also not a waif.

Crowding? I am planning on taking the 6:36 or 7:03AM train to Penn, both of which transfer at Jamaica?

Am I going to encounter 'saved seats'? I.e. is it first-come, first-served or do high school-li ke cliques rules the seats?

Smells?

As far as transferring at Jamaica, is the 2nd train across the platform generally or do I have to hunt around? And how do I find where that train is?

Thanks

I would say expect delays possible crowding around Mineola and so on seats are decent no there is no Wifi and the seats are non reserved so you get what you can get and read the schedule for your train to see if you need to transfer at Jamaica.

Noise level in the cars?

Smells?

Thanks

1) noise level isn't so bad in my experience, but I know someone who bought a signal blocker for their train ride.... The only real source of noise is the train cars themselves.

2) Comfort... depends on the kind of train you're using, I guess. And your standards come into play here.

3) Crowded? Yes. You're lucky you're at the first stop (or last stop for diesel trains)

4) No saved seats. First come, first served.

5) Yes. The AC is good.

6) Smells only near the bathrooms

7) at Jamaica, go to the upper level. It will show/announce your train there.

8) no wifi, sorry.

1) noise level isn't so bad in my experience, but I know someone who bought a signal blocker for their train ride.... The only real source of noise is the train cars themselves.

2) Comfort... depends on the kind of train you're using, I guess. And your standards come into play here.

3) Crowded? Yes. You're lucky you're at the first stop (or last stop for diesel trains)

4) No saved seats. First come, first served.

5) Yes. The AC is good.

6) Smells only near the bathrooms

7) at Jamaica, go to the upper level. It will show/announce your train there.

8) no wifi, sorry.

You are kinda half wrong with the diesel trains as I commute with the LIRR anyways

There are trains that are diesel that terminate at Huntington but there is also some that operate from L.I.C to Port Jefferson

You are kinda half wrong with the diesel trains as I commute with the LIRR anyways

There are trains that are diesel that terminate at Huntington but there is also some that operate from L.I.C to Port Jefferson

I would imagine its very hard to get a seat on a Port Jeff express that makes Huntington as its last stop before Jamaica.

It's impossible to NOT find a West Hempstead train with over 1/2 of the seats full beyond Jamacia. Of course, part of this has to do with most stations platforming 4 cars while the train is six cars long.....

Noise level in the cars?

Smells?

1) The M7s (what you see more often when you pass by LIRR stations, they're newer and have black fronts) are very noisy, never mind the horrid ride and the creaking from the trucks when they go over switches and curves. The older M3s are very quiet but are a bit cramped.

2) Crowding is always bad during the rush and on any train leaving Penn Station Basement. Once you get to Jamaica, everything changes.

3) The HVAC in either train class works beautifully. It's a relief both on a hot and humid day or a bitterly cold night in the winter.

4) The M7s have this weird smell. I think it's from what they use to clean the seats, and the bathrooms... I'll leave that to you.

5) Friends will always sit together but it's otherwise first-come, first-serve. Expect asswipes to take up seats with their bags of crap from the city.

6) As a rule and for convienience's sake, the train to transfer to will be across the platform. If you miss it or it gets delayed, the level above the platforms has schedules and information screens on when the next train to your destination is arriving and where it will stop.

7) I believe there's Optimum Wi-fi near some stations and Penn is well-connected, so if you get bored, you can get on any Internet-capable device and enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived