R62 Propulsion Question

I posted this question a little while ago in the subway random thoughts thread, but I don't know if very many people saw it. Anyway, I'll post it here:

I found this video of an R62 (GE propulsion, of course) making a distinctive jet engine/roaring sound coming into 161 St back in 1991. I've never heard an R62 make this sound before:

(go to 00:40)

Does anybody have any information as to why the R62 made that sound? Did all R62s used to sound like this? If so, why were they different from today?

Any info would be appreciated.

Brings back memories when I first started riding the subway... All the R62's that I rode back then made that sound. I think the doors sounded different too but I'm not too sure about that.

After 1991, the R62's were altered quite a bit mechanically when they were linked into 5-car sets and field shunting was removed. One can say they were neutered. The Union Square wreck (which involved R62's) was that same year, and helped contribute to the slowdown of the subway system in general.

Brings back memories when I first started riding the subway... All the R62's that I rode back then made that sound. I think the doors sounded different too but I'm not too sure about that.

After 1991, the R62's were altered quite a bit mechanically when they were linked into 5-car sets and field shunting was removed. One can say they were neutered. The Union Square wreck (which involved R62's) was that same year, and helped contribute to the slowdown of the subway system in general.

So, do you think the sound was because of field shunting? Wasn't field shunting removed in 1995, not 1991?

As far as I know, field shunting was removed from nearly all cars (There are rumors that a couple Corona Redbirds retained it until retirement) in 1995 after the Williamsburg Bridge Wreck.

Yes. In any case, since that topic has been discussed, does anybody know why the R62s (or other cars, if they did), used to sound different?

Archived