What Happened to the Orion Diesel Hybrid Veolia Had?

What happened to the Orion diesel hybrid Veolia had? Before they took over the contract Veolia was training new hires on each model of the Orion bus (1500/1600's, 1700's, & 1800's) plus an Orion diesel hybrid. What happened to that bus? Is it still in Nassau County (obviously not in service, as the only place to fill it would be at the para location and local gas stations)? Or did they send it to another location to play with?

As far as I know, that bus has not hit the streets of Nassau County since the beginning of the year. I would think then, instead of keeping it in the depot, that Veolia or Orion would send it somewhere else. But someone here who works for NICE will have to confirm that.

As far as I know, that bus has not hit the streets of Nassau County since the beginning of the year. I would think then, instead of keeping it in the depot, that Veolia or Orion would send it somewhere else.

This was actually a demo owned by Daimler/Orion that Veolia bought later on. It was owned by Veolia for (I wanna say) a year before it came out to Nassau County? For whatever reason Veolia decided to keep the original Orion hybrid paint decal scheme.

I think the bus had tags from a southern state, I wanna say NC or SC. Also if anyone went around the LIB properties when Veolia was "around" but not in charge (b4 the 1st) they had airport shuttle type vans with tags from with NC/SC/VA (maybe a mix?) scattered around, mainly shuttling new drivers in training from MF to RVC for training bc of the parking problem at RVC.

It was also not uncommon to see a golden touch bus (a Veolia company) at the front door of MF Friday afternoons to take employees who came in to help out from other Veolia properties back to the airport.

I'd just love to know what happened to that hybrid Orion, whether it was repainted and joined a Veolia fleet somewhere or if it continues to roam the country?

This was actually a demo owned by Daimler/Orion that Veolia bought later on. It was owned by Veolia for (I wanna say) a year before it came out to Nassau County? For whatever reason Veolia decided to keep the original Orion hybrid paint decal scheme.

I think the bus had tags from a southern state, I wanna say NC or SC. Also if anyone went around the LIB properties when Veolia was "around" but not in charge (b4 the 1st) they had airport shuttle type vans with tags from with NC/SC/VA (maybe a mix?) scattered around, mainly shuttling new drivers in training from MF to RVC for training bc of the parking problem at RVC.

It was also not uncommon to see a golden touch bus (a Veolia company) at the front door of MF Friday afternoons to take employees who came in to help out from other Veolia properties back to the airport.

I'd just love to know what happened to that hybrid Orion, whether it was repainted and joined a Veolia fleet somewhere or if it continues to roam the country?

Any description of the bus you may be able to give? Eg. is it OG/NG, what paint/decal scheme did it have, was there a number on the bus? It would help in making an identification.

Yeah, I know what you're talking about. It was spotted by people on this forum before Veolia had taken over, but it wasn't seen after January 1st.

It was an Orion VII

Any description of the bus you may be able to give? Eg. is it OG/NG, what paint/decal scheme did it have, was there a number on the bus? It would help in making an identification.

It looked like this (same paint scheme) what's an OG/NG? Is that the model?

Orion VII NG Demo

I do know it was a diesel hybrid demo used by Orion, then Veolia bought it from Orion (and at least up until last year) left the scheme. I was told Veolia bought the demo after it was loaned to them to test out and then offered a really good deal on it...

Do you work for Orion or Daimler?

It was an Orion VII

http://www.flickr.co...aves-lucian400/

I do know it was a diesel hybrid demo used by Orion, then Veolia bought it from Orion (and at least up until last year) left the scheme. I was told Veolia bought the demo after it was loaned to them to test out and then offered a really good deal on it...

It was an Orion VII

http://www.flickr.co...aves-lucian400/

That bus is still an Orion demo that is now up for sale!

All demos and ex demos that Orion has are up for sale due to Orion closing. Also test bed buses will be scraped.

Is what they have left to sell up on their website anywhere or posted online? I'm curious to see whats left.

What do you mean by "test bed"?

Buses that had new test equipment on it. That havent been sold to buyers.

Is what they have left to sell up on their website anywhere or posted online? I'm curious to see whats left.

No their site has been down for the longest time

All demos and ex demos that Orion has are up for sale due to Orion closing. Also test bed buses will be scraped.

They are not up for sale publicly. Some of those buses are in a lot worse shape than one would think...

Right from Orion!? I'm shocked.

A lot of them, especially the older demos they still had were extensively modified in some areas and poked and prodded at by engineering. Even some of the newer ones have been modified by engineering and remained incomplete (eg seats, interior panels missing). So there is really no consistency between any of the buses. As well, some of the prototypes had one-off stuff that was put in as a test but never made it to production, those I can't see being easy to sell at all. And that's not even mentioning some of them went under extensive testing, such as at the Bosch Proving Grounds.

I'm aware of the following being scrapped:

PT1 - 2010 Orion VII EPA10 hybrid prototype - with BAE fully electric hybrid system (electric powered A/C, cooling system, steering, air compressor etc.). Sent to Scrap.

1281A - 2005? Orion VII hybrid demo - was later retrofitted with Lithium Batteries and rooftop PCS similar to NG setup. Also received NG rear end panels.

1255A - 2005 Orion VII CNG, ex Gwinnett County Transit which caught fire. Orion brought it and rebuilt it using NG rear end panels. Also sent to a third party company, unsure if awaiting resale or if it's just going to be a parts donor or scrapped.

Again, like I said I suspect the majority of them will just end up scrapped...there may be a few of them that could be sell able (mostly newer CNG prototypes) but the fact that they were engineering buses built to varying specs, the fact that most of them have been modified in some way and the fact that you would be buying from a manufacturer no longer in business would for sure be a deterrent to a agency looking to pick them up.

Archived