Staten Island ferry goes to sea......

rad3766

Anybody know whats happening with the Samuel Newhouse? Going to scrap? Sold to another operator?

On our way back from Baltimore yesterday, caught her being towed south-bound off Atlantic Highlands.

I know the Newhouse and the Barberi are slated to be replaced, but the new ferries havent even gone into the design process yet, so Im wondering why the city is getting rid of it early.

101_3092.jpg

It could be going to get work done. The work is done outside of New York believe it or not, down in Maryland IIRC. However, when new boats are bought, which is currently being looked at, the Barberi, the Newhouse and one other boat (forget which one) will be going bye-bye. Long overdue... I just hope the city isn't cheap and buy more duds like the current Molinari class boats that constantly break down.

It could be going to get work done. The work is done outside of New York believe it or not, down in Maryland IIRC.

You may very well be right. I had thought of that too, but dismissed it knowing that Caddells Shipyard on Staten Island has done the bulk of the shipyard work for the ferries in the past,, but all it takes is to be under-bid on one job...........

You may very well be right. I had thought of that too, but dismissed it knowing that Caddells Shipyard on Staten Island has done the bulk of the shipyard work for the ferries in the past,, but all it takes is to be under-bid on one job...........

In fact I believe that's the reason they get the work done down there... Supposedly cheaper to do it there than locally... <_<

• 4 weeks later...

Archived