Strong quake hits off Japan near Fukushima.

KeystoneRegional

(Reuters) - A strong quake centered off northeastern Japan shook buildings as far away as Tokyo on Friday and triggered a one-meter tsunami in an area devastated by last year's Fukushima disaster, but there were no reports of deaths or serious damage.

The quake had a preliminary magnitude of 7.3, the U.S. Geological Survey said, and thousands of coastal residents were ordered to evacuate to higher ground, but the tsunami warning was lifted two hours after the tremor struck.

The March 2011 earthquake and following tsunami killed nearly 20,000 people and triggered the world's worst nuclear crisis in 25 years when the Fukushima-Daiichi nuclear plant was destroyed, leaking radiation into the sea and air.

Workers at the plant were ordered to move to safety after Friday's quake. Tokyo Electric Power Co, the operator of the Fukushima nuclear plant, reported no irregularities at its nuclear plants.

Source Link///Read More: http://www.reuters.c...E8B607Z20121207

This is bad because Reactor 4 is still in serious trouble and the smallest tremor could make it fall.

Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda trip to the Fukushima No. 1 plant back in October to inspect the current condition of the reactor 4 building's 11 meter deep fuel pool confirms that the infrastructure remains horizontal and is not tilting or falling apart. But indeed, your concerns are very legitimate as are mine. A very dangerous and fearful situation for Japanese citizens in the area in the wake of this latest geological event considering Japan's location in the Pacific "ring of fire".

Can I relate a slight off topic account? My lady told me told me of her grandmother's experiences in the wake of the bombing in Hiroshima and Nagasaki Japan in 1945 one day and the horrors she experienced there. It was so bad they were digging up radioactive contaminated potatoes out of the ground and drinking radioactive water out of streams just not to starve.

That made my heart just sink into the depths of darkness.

So given the traumatizing experiences Japan has experienced historically as a nation they have to be no more but VERY concerned about this.

Archived