MTA considers alarm system to alert workers when someone has fallen or jumped onto the tracks

Via Garibaldi 8

In future news..whatever happend to the MTA testing lasers on the tracks? I got news for you....this will never work and it will never happen.

There's really no reason to think it wouldn't work. There are many many sensors that could do the job, infrared, ultrasonic, optical grid image recognition cameras - any two of these combined would be cheap and reliable. All it has to do is turn on an Amber lantern at the station entrance. Trains enter via the same rules they do when workers are on the tracks. If there's a person there- they can stop in time. If it's a false alarm, delays are minimal, and the system can be reset.

There should be an alarm system. Recently I saw someone help someone else get papers they dropped on the tracks at 72nd Street. They're just lucky that they didn't get caught because there was an plainscloth cop on the mezzanine.

This is an amazing idea, but what about soda cans and other things that set the alarm off... there is much room for error in this idea.

They have this technology on Berlin's line U55.

I'm going to point out that the technology is designed to see if a body has hit the tracks. How often do you see something at least the size of a small child in the tracks?

Its probably some sort of infrared detector, but then they gotta figure out a way that the mice and other animals dont trip the sensor, so some sort of human based bio detection system.

If I remember correctly the Berlin installation was a mix of radar and infrared.

Archived