MTA considers alarm system to alert workers when someone has fallen or jumped onto the tracks

Via Garibaldi 8

Agency ponders hi-tech appraoch to safe tracks; MTA also to install subway doors at one platform on the L train.

tracks29n-1-web.jpg HISHAM IBRAHIM/GETTY IMAGES An alarm system could help motormen stop in time if someone falls or jumps onto the tracks.

The MTA is looking into a "track intrusion" system that would alert transit workers when someone has fallen or leapt down from the platform into harm’s way, officials said.

MTA interim executive director Tom Prendergast said features such as laser beams could detect when someone is in an off-limits area.

"You could tie it in to an alarm system, flashing lights, things of that nature, to warn people someone is on the roadbed, or out if the safe location of the platform,” Prendergast said Monday. "It's primarily used for security reasons but we'd look to use it here for safety."

Such an alert system is already being tested on the PATH system, but details were not immediately available.

It’s the latest proposal by the transportation agency to prevent the roughly 135 people who are struck by trains in the typical year. Last year, 141 people were hit by a train.

Last year, the agency said it would install platform doors at one station along the L train.

Prendergast said the cost of providing such doors across the entire system would be about $1 billion — prohibitively expensive.

Some motormen have asked for permission to drive trains more slowly into stations, but Prendergast said slower speeds would exacerbate crowding and make platforms more dangerous.

The largest group of struck riders — 38% — is straphangers who simply trip. Suicides or attempted suicides comprise another 23%.

About 25% of all people struck are intoxicated or on drugs.

Click for video

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/alarm-bells-platforms-article-1.1249707#ixzz2JNjau000

This is a good idea. If there was some sort of loud warning tone, then this would better alert operators rather than slowing to 10 MPH before every station...  <_<

This would also mean that extreme foamers who go onto tracks to attempt to film abandoned stations would set off the alarm.

This is a good idea. If there was some sort of loud warning tone, then this would better alert operators rather than slowing to 10 MPH before every station...  <_<

This would also mean that extreme foamers who go onto tracks to attempt to film abandoned stations would set off the alarm.

Damn foamers...  <_<    :lol:

Whats going to happen when track workers are on the roadbed during normal service? This might prevent someone from getting run over if they fell or went to get their cell phone ect. but whats to stop some maniac from just diving in front of a train coming into the station?

Whats going to happen when track workers are on the roadbed during normal service? This might prevent someone from getting run over if they fell or went to get their cell phone ect. but whats to stop some maniac from just diving in front of a train coming into the station?

I think even the MTA knows that someone who really wants to jump will find a way to do that. The alarm system, assuming it is inexpensive, is a nice idea that might help prevent some accidents, but I can see a lot of potential problems with it malfunctioning or going off unnecessarily.

People actually do that?

Not everyone here are praising those damn things

It would be real dumb if they do. Those things cost $$$.

Why was I envisioning lemmings in a line falling off a cliff when you said that? Lol.

Prendergast said the cost of providing such doors across the entire system would be about $1 billion — prohibitively expensive.
It's all relative. What was the cost of the first phase of the Second Avenue Subway again?

Look up videos of the abandoned side of the Nassau Line. You'll see tons of vids. How do you think they got there?
foaming track workers

I think the alarm system should light up amber indicator lights similar to the ones that are on the tracks when workers are out. In fact, the protocol should be pretty much the same: There may be a person or persons on the track, proceed with extreme caution. 

This way, track workers aren't going to set off the alarm (Which isn't a real issue anyway, since if track workers are out trains are running at 10mph or less, and the very same keypads that track workers use to disable the alarm systems put in place for anti-terror reasons could be used to disable the alarm systems used for customer safety reasons). 

@ Quill Depot: You did bring up some food for thought. What if you heave a crash test dummy or a mannequin over the platform? Would it cause the alarm to go off? The contractor who may be awarded this bid for the proposed track intrusion system, they seriously should consider these things. (After all this is New York City......) +1.

It's all relative. What was the cost of the first phase of the Second Avenue Subway again?

foaming track workers

And if it costs $1 billion to install the doors, why not use that same money to fix up the rest of the stations in the system? If it's all fed money, then fine, but I think this is going to fall on the MTA to cover themselves.

This is an amazing idea, but what about soda cans and other things that set the alarm off... there is much room for error in this idea.

Its probably some sort of infrared detector, but then they gotta figure out a way that the mice and other animals dont trip the sensor, so some sort of human based bio detection system.

BTW I don't think this was mentioned but with these doors on the plat, conductors have to do alot of looking to see if everyone gets on the train safely and when closing down and departing doing a sweep from fron to back.....excactly how is this going to happen with partitions in the way? And is the conductor going to get his/her head chopped off with these partitions? Also We have to look at leaving signals, with already it being difficult when you have crowds of people blocking your view. Partions will never work in this system, Its not going to happen trust me.

Yes thats Capital Funding(Govt Money) .

Unless the govt is going to chip in a LOT of money whose gonna pay for this?

The laser system could work but there are bugs that have to get worked out.

Look up videos of the abandoned side of the Nassau Line. You'll see tons of vids. How do you think they got there?

I don't see a single one when I try to do so - the only one I can find is of a (J) diversion through Canal and Bowery abandoned platforms.

I really have to question who would actually be dumb enough to risk their lives for photos of a station. Urban relics are cool, but it's not worth dying over them... come on guys.

I heard about this, saw the thread, and glossed completely over everything, figuring it would probably be some sensor near the end of the platform or something.

I saw yesterday's paper today, and saw that it is a field of lasers throughout the trackway in the station! (It had an illustration; and that caught my attention).

I think that would be cool! Perhaps an even better alternative to platform doors. (Definitely more doable!). Should have some beams that extend above the platform level as well, for people who lean too far over. Could trigger an audible warning as well.

(This still won't help for suicide jumpers, or people tripping, drunk, etc. and falling at the last minute, though).

Archived