#9618-Maybe it did have a 12 yr. upgrade?

Rick44

Yes, I'm talking about #9618, in Flatbush Depot, I posted this in TransitStuff about four, three, maybe two months ago. I saw this bus with a sign saying...

[12 YEAR UPGRADE]

It was a newly-painted whiteback at the time and I saw this bus and I said to myself, that can't be true for a bus that might go in the scrapper anytime soon. Nothing was different about the bus except it was a whiteback and freshly painted, not even the sound of the engine. Three days ago, I saw this bus again, it sounded a bit different, sounded like a jet engine mixed with the current engine. This bus sounded the same as #5063 out of the same depot, which I saw the next day. What's up with that? Are they really replacing engines in some of the buses in Flatbush? Or is it just my imagination? I really want to hear from you, your opinions, anything, because I did not hear from anyone when I posted it up on TransitStuff.

Yes, I'm talking about #9618, in Flatbush Depot, I posted this in TransitStuff about four, three, maybe two months ago. I saw this bus with a sign saying...

[12 YEAR UPGRADE]

It was a newly-painted whiteback at the time and I saw this bus and I said to myself, that can't be true for a bus that might go in the scrapper anytime soon. Nothing was different about the bus except it was a whiteback and freshly painted, not even the sound of the engine. Three days ago, I saw this bus again, it sounded a bit different, sounded like a jet engine mixed with the current engine. This bus sounded the same as #5063 out of the same depot, which I saw the next day. What's up with that? Are they really replacing engines in some of the buses in Flatbush? Or is it just my imagination? I really want to hear from you, your opinions, anything, because I did not hear from anyone when I posted it up on TransitStuff.

Most likely just overhauls. They won't be scrapped anytime soon. RTS' 4900-5249, & 9525-9699 will be around until at least 2013.

I find it peculiar that they do this with those buses but not with alot of the 1994-96 05.501s. Is the 12-year upgrade standard, or is it that they don't want to deal with certain buses that they consider too difficult to repair? I gather that they intend to keep the 1994-96 05.501s in service for a long time as well if they're keeping those older Novas in service for a while.

I find it peculiar that they do this with those buses but not with alot of the 1994-96 05.501s. Is the 12-year upgrade standard, or is it that they don't want to deal with certain buses that they consider too difficult to repair? I gather that they intend to keep the 1994-96 05.501s in service for a long time as well if they're keeping those older Novas in service for a while.

Good question. I assume they should be around until 2010-12.

Thanks for your responses. I think '89 Liberty MCI is right, if this really what they did to the Novas, why can't they do 12 year upgrades, or even less (years of course) to buses like the Orion 5's? I mean I know Nova's RTS's can last for a real long time, but the Orion's are very old, I think they need them too.

I think 1994-96 05.501s should be around longer than all 1990 and later RTSs. Nothing good about those RTSs with no DD 6V-92TA. At least the 1994-96 05.501s have a street exhaust and some of them are very strong and they sound better than 1990 and later RTS. Even if alot of them are rusty they shouldn't be beyond repair. And they have more room inside. And very good brakes. No squealing like 1990 and later RTS.

I think 1994-96 05.501s should be around longer than all 1990 and later RTSs. Nothing good about those RTSs with no DD 6V-92TA. At least the 1994-96 05.501s have a street exhaust and some of them are very strong and they sound better than 1990 and later RTS. Even if alot of them are rusty they shouldn't be beyond repair. And they have more room inside. And very good brakes. No squealing like 1990 and later RTS.

You cant compare a '90 to a '94. I bet if we has '90 Orion V's they'd be trashed worse that the RTS'. And brakes are going to be different on each individual bus. But hey, thats only my opinion.

Are u kiding me Orion Better then the RTS if that was the case they would not be filling Gaps to depot with Orions with RTS the 1990-91 u say are bad. Those are 18 yr old buses some have the same if not better then the oldest Orion V 15 yr. From Yuckon to Kingstrash the RTS still hold the Crown has the Best bus in North America that being said they don't even make them no More. U will see some RTS as old as 23 0r 24 Run Like new they are Very Few Orion I still running but alot of GMC/TMC/Nova.

The only reason I don't like 1990 and later RTS is because they have no DD 6V-92TA. Put a 92 in an RTS and I'll take it over an 05.501 any day, like the 23-24 year old RTSs you're talking about at the end.

Also I'm not just saying 1990 RTS have squealing brakes, but 1990 and later (guess I should've said 1990-1999 RTS). Even 1996-1999 RTS which are newer than the 4, 5, 6xx have squealing brakes, but not the 4/5/6xx. I know you can't compare a 1990 RTS to a 1994, 95, 96 05.501, but you can put a 1994-96 05.501 next to a newer RTS and the newer RTS still has squealing brakes but not a 1994-96 05.501.

Archived