Staten Island Railway North Shore Restoration (My Proposal of it)

Q90

MTA for a while has been suggesting a busway to replace the former North Shore Line of the Staten Island Railway which was abandoned in 1953 (MTA Chooses Busway For Possible Staten Island North Shore Transit Line | Streetsblog New York City). However there is major opposition against it including me. I think that the idea just won't work because it was a rail line and it should stay that way if it gets restored and that it would disrupt residential areas. My proposed restoration would be an extension of the current Staten Island Railway. It would be underground and use the elevated tracks of the former line (however they would be rebuilt). Heres the map of it:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=214089513480814599261.0004e230a7a6fac0fbb07

It includes the existing line plus the North Shore extension. 

MTA for a while has been suggesting a busway to replace the former North Shore Line of the Staten Island Railway which was abandoned in 1953 (MTA Chooses Busway For Possible Staten Island North Shore Transit Line | Streetsblog New York City). However there is major opposition against it including me. I think that the idea just won't work because it was a rail line and it should stay that way if it gets restored and that it would disrupt residential areas. My proposed restoration would be an extension of the current Staten Island Railway. It would be underground and use the elevated tracks of the former line (however they would be rebuilt). Heres the map of it:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=214089513480814599261.0004e230a7a6fac0fbb07

It includes the existing line plus the North Shore extension. 

Oh DO NOT USE THE LINK WHICH WAS SUPPOSED TO TAKE YOU TO THE MAP BECAUSE I I REALIZED IT WON'T TAKE YOU TO THE MAP! Heres the correct link: 

I'm not too familiar with the transit system in Staten Island, but I do know the car volume there is horrific.

I'm not too up-to-date with their plans in that borough either, but if they are going for a bus-route type of thing, I'd be against it too.  I'd rather it be a railway as well or I believe someone noted at least a dedicated street-car like NJ's light rail.

In accordance to your proposal, the two stops with a huge gap I think is too big of a gap.  Also an extension of the existing line makes the line too long as well.  If it were to be another subway line, I think it should be kept separate.

I'm not too familiar with the transit system in Staten Island, but I do know the car volume there is horrific.

I'm not too up-to-date with their plans in that borough either, but if they are going for a bus-route type of thing, I'd be against it too.  I'd rather it be a railway as well or I believe someone noted at least a dedicated street-car like NJ's light rail.

In accordance to your proposal, the two stops with a huge gap I think is too big of a gap.  Also an extension of the existing line makes the line too long as well.  If it were to be another subway line, I think it should be kept separate.

Length isn't a problem here. It's still shorter than a few of the subway lines. Look at how long the  (A) and  (D) trains are yet they are reliable subway lines to use. Also the DC Metro blue and red lines are longer than this extended Staten Island Railway. Okay maybe I didn't need to talk about subway systems in other cities but I'm just trying to make a point. Also you mean that 4 mile or so distance between the Travis and Arlington stations. Actually prior to the North Shore closure, trains did run between those two stations without stops in between. Also there's nowhere to stop in between those stations. But it does make sense to have the restored North Shore start at St. George but I'd rather just stick with keeping it as one line.

I have to agree with you on that, especially when entering the Verrazano Bridge. It's like rush hour traffic in Manhattan lol.

Length isn't a problem here. It's still shorter than a few of the subway lines. Look at how long the  (A) and  (D) trains are yet they are reliable subway lines to use. Also the DC Metro blue and red lines are longer than this extended Staten Island Railway. Okay maybe I didn't need to talk about subway systems in other cities but I'm just trying to make a point. Also you mean that 4 mile or so distance between the Travis and Arlington stations. Actually prior to the North Shore closure, trains did run between those two stations without stops in between. Also there's nowhere to stop in between those stations. But it does make sense to have the restored North Shore start at St. George but I'd rather just stick with keeping it as one line.

I have to agree with you on that, especially when entering the Verrazano Bridge. It's like rush hour traffic in Manhattan lol.

Why don't you just loop the entire SIR. Then you can have the West Shore Light Rail run to the Mall instead..........

Why don't you just loop the entire SIR. Then you can have the West Shore Light Rail run to the Mall instead..........

I wouldn't loop it lol! And Hudson light rail to the Mall? Good idea but make it connect to the SIR.

I wouldn't loop it lol! And Hudson light rail to the Mall? Good idea but make it connect to the SIR.

Actually the real proposal would create a loop so it isn't a bad idea, and I don't think light rail can operate on railroad tracks..........

Actually the real proposal would create a loop so it isn't a bad idea, and I don't think light rail can operate on railroad tracks..........

I said for your proposed light rail extension to have a CONNECTION to the SIR, not use it's tracks and just because the extended SIR hooks down towards Travis doesn't mean it loops. In order for it to be like a loop, it has to go further down (like half the distance of the current SIR's length at least). But still better than a stupid busway.

Archived