On the Ergonomics of the Transit Employee's Cab (Mainly Concerns Train, Streetcar, Bus Operators)

BrooklynIRT

Quick question: Is it a faux pas in RTO or in the rail industry in general to refer to the control panel of a rail vehicle as the dashboard? I feel it should be ok considering the 2nd definition here: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/dashboard

The thing is it is a bit easier to say "dashboard" than it is to say "control panel." But anyway, on to the main event...

I have been thinking about this for a while.

You have cars that have the controller handle basically in the middle of the control panel/dashboard (in front of you), and then you have cars that have the controller handle all the way on the right-hand side, under the window.

It seems to me that for right-handed persons, the controller handle on the right-hand side is best for ergonomics b/c the further from the center of the control panel the controller is, the easier it is to spread out one's back and shoulders and keep the back and shoulders straighter and/r minimize back and shoulder strain..at least while sitting down.

For me, this definitely applies to using a computer, in which case I usually have my mouse as far to the right as possible since it makes it easier for me to spread out my back and shoulders, keeping them straighter, and minimizing pain and strain.

Getting back to trains, the controller handle on the far right-hand side is not good for left-handed train operators since they must get used to dealing with the controller handle with the non-dominant hand. I recently thought that it would be a good idea to build the trains with a controller handle on the far left as well as one on the far right and have the operator use whichever one is preferred.

The one that has the running key (that key the train operator uses to to switch b/w RUN/OFF/SP CHG, whatever SP CHG means) inserted in the slot next to it is the one that must be used. Then we have to figure out how to make sure a person can still get in and out of the operating area easily since a stand will be needed for the left-hand side controller handle.

So, does anybody, rail employees in particular, have any opinion on this?

I also think about how bus operators cannot stand up while operating (while moving or while sitting in the station/bus stop) like train or streetcar operators can; this is one reason that I have recently given more thought to the revitalization of the streetcar. One can only hope.

Neither dashboard or control panel is the proper term. It's CONSOLE.

And get back to us on what is and isn't comfortable for T/O's once you've actually operated a couple trips......I'm left handed and I've been adapting my whole life, but having the master controller on the right side is not going to kill me. I use my mouse with my right hand too with no problems.

Well BrooklynIRT is right about one thing - having the master controller on the side is a lot more comfortable for the T/O - left or right handed, than it is having it in the middle. The only advantage to having it in the middle is that it lets you switch hands to give the other arm a break now and then, but that is CAUSED by the needing to keep your arm bent to properly grip it. They changed the design for the 143/160/188 in reaction to this.

Ok, console.

Also my OP was partially based on some comments I saw on the web from NYCT train operators about lefties dealing with RHS controllers. Of course the preference would be to not give the trains two controllers due to increased manufacturing and maintenance costs (and the maintenance itself), so as long as safety is not compromised, no need to add a 2nd controller.

Well BrooklynIRT is right about one thing - having the master controller on the side is a lot more comfortable for the T/O - left or right handed, than it is having it in the middle. The only advantage to having it in the middle is that it lets you switch hands to give the other arm a break now and then, but that is CAUSED by the needing to keep your arm bent to properly grip it. They changed the design for the 143/160/188 in reaction to this.

Yeah come to think of it I heard RTOMan talk about this too. He noted how hard it is on the wrists when he is operating a R68 (Or was it R160's? Memory lapse) consist over the Manhattan Bridge.

.......Because of the excessive timers he opinionated on concerning the Many B restricting speeds of trains to 20-25MPH if I'm correct.

Archived