Exclusive footage of Korea's new high speed train testing

mtattrain

I found this very interesting video, which shows a cab view of a speed test demo train called the HEMU-430X undergoing some testing. The HEMU-430X is expected to reach a speed of around 420-430 km/h (around 261-267 mph u mad Amtrak?). Epic action against a slower train at 300 km/h (186 mph) can be best seen at the 1:15 mark of this video, which clearly demonstrates the superior acceleration technology over the older equipment, although the train may not be traveling at very high speeds (no bragging intended). This is NOT my video, however.

Is the HSR in South Korea four-tracked? .__.

Also, I was under the impression that while speeds above 360km/h are possible, it wasn't very feasible to do (excessive noise, wear and tear on catenary, etc.). If you look at the French speed record runs, you can see the catenary actually smoking due to the high speeds.

South Korea also isn't very big, so I'm not sure what the time advantage of the higher speed was (although the acceleration looks amazing).

Also, I was under the impression that while speeds above 360km/h are possible, it wasn't very feasible to do (excessive noise, wear and tear on catenary, etc.). If you look at the French speed record runs, you can see the catenary actually smoking due to the high speeds.

South Korea also isn't very big, so I'm not sure what the time advantage of the higher speed was (although the acceleration looks amazing).

The HSR isn't four-tracked, but at stations there are bypass tracks and then other tracks for some trains to stop at.

Speeds for 350 km/h were actually possible as early as 2005-2007, but the plan to speed up service didn't go out as expected, and the production units of the 350 km/h demo (HSR350X) were set for 300-310 km/h only.

Speed can make a difference. Here in The Netherlands a new sort-of high-speed train running between two cities reduced commutes by 15 minutes. And that is on a route that's frequently used for going to and from work. So it can make a difference, even on smaller rail lines.

(for the record: the old local train was limited to 90 km/h, the new sort-of high-speed one is running at 160 km/h for now and will be upped to 200 or 220 in the near future)

Speed can make a difference. Here in The Netherlands a new sort-of high-speed train running between two cities reduced commutes by 15 minutes. And that is on a route that's frequently used for going to and from work. So it can make a difference, even on smaller rail lines.

(for the record: the old local train was limited to 90 km/h, the new sort-of high-speed one is running at 160 km/h for now and will be upped to 200 or 220 in the near future)

Well, yes, but there's diminishing returns. Boosting speed by another 70 km/h is not going to do very much unless the cities are at least two hours apart already (and the signalling is already 350km/h ready.)

If this was a route like Beijing-Shanghai that took about 10 hours, I would be able to understand trying to up the speed, but Seoul and Busan (just two cities off the top of my head right now) are only 2 hr and 42 min away by train, and the trainsets in use are not being used to their full potential.

Archived