Skipping 4K Televisions/Monitor for 8K

Usually, the case for upgrading hardware or software is because the latest technology is the best in the foreseeable future. For about a decade, HD televisions and monitors were all converging towards a 1920×1080 resolution with little mention of higher resolutions like 4K. Hence, the goal was simple: get a 1080p screen and you'd be set for a long time.

Now, 2 new resolution standards have been announced simultaneously: 4K and 8K, with 8K to be the eventual successor of 4K. In 6 years, 8K is rumored to be deployed for the 2020 Olympics, and 4K hasn't even started maturing yet. The HDMI 2.0 specification that supports 4K was only finalized last year with no products supporting it (and thus only able to render a crippled version of 4K). 4K equipment is expected to become available to the masses by the end of this year of the next year. By then, it'll be only 4 years from the expected mass adoption of 8K. Nothing has been announced regarding technology beyond 8K, making it the end-goal for consumers needing a good display. In other words, 4K is a waste of money.

Does anyone agree with my sentiments?

I honestly think it is a waste of money.

If I had a 4K monitor I would probably end up turning the resolution down to, say 2048 * 1536 because 4K is too high for me. Heck, I may even run at 1024 * 768  :P

I would never spend money on such a high resolution unless I was drunk or batshit crazy, because I simply do not REQUIRE such a high resolution and the technology will be end-of-life in 6 years. 

Look at it this way. My monitor has a resolution of 1600 * 900. Am I begging my parents to spend $2k on a monitor with a resolution that I simply cannot stand and will go obsolete in 6 years anyway. NO.

Those are my sentiments. Sorry if it was too long.

I'm not saying 4K or 8K are useless, but to have a successor (8K) to something that's just starting out (4K) on the horizon makes it kind of obvious what the consumer should do: hold out for the better technology. 1080p lasted around a decade, and should still be sticking around for a bit longer as cheap entry-level televisions and monitors.

As for video recording technology, I might go grab a 4K camcorder anyway since 8K ones don't exist. My rationale: time only moves forward, and memories can't be captured twice, so they should be captured at the highest resolution possible at the moment in time.

If you're buying a display now, you could probably get an 80" 1080p screen for the price of a 50" 4K screen. The size will wow you more than the resolution seeing as there are no 4K movies or television shows out there.

Archived