Subway stations retain signs listing places and streets that no longer exist

GreatOne2k

http://nypost.com/2012/10/07/subway-stations-retain-signs-listing-places-and-streets-that-no-longer-exist/

http://sunnysidepost.com/2012/10/07/subway-stations-retain-signs-and-streets-of-places-that-no-longer-exist/

After facing community opposition to updating station names, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority no longer tries to replace old signs in the system.

“This is New York City, and neighborhood identity is strong here,” said MTA spokesman Charles Seaton. “Anytime we have tried to change the name, community residents have objected. Keeping the original name of a station maintains a historic link that is important to a lot of folks.”

I lived on 39th Street which was Harold which is that famous interlocking in the Sunnyside yards which commuters cursed out. Sunnyside and Woodside and various portions of other areas had all named streets not numbers and people still refer to the old name. So Queens wasn't a city as we know now but villages and every area was a neighborhood.

One of the things I really love about the NYC subways is the rich history that it excudes. It's been a workhorse since the beginning, always evolving, but never quite losing it's past. Platforms were extended and renovated, but pieces remained and if there is so much history hidden in plain sight if you just know where to look. Even the fact that people (and signs) still refer to the systems as the IRT, IND or BMT.

The second ave. subway will be interesting because it won't have any of that. It'll feel really at odds with the rest of the system I think. Wide column less platforms of immaculate white tile and recessed flourescent lights. Sterile modern progress without the history and quirkiness of the rest of the system.

Archived