Ticket collection procedures for MNRR for Yankees games

Via Garibaldi 8

I got on the Metro-North train in Riverdale this morning and got off the Yankee stadium-E 153rd street station.  There was a Yankees game today, but something interesting happened.  The ticket collector game me my ticket back.  Upon exiting the station, I was required to give that ticket to a male standing at the Metro-North exit booths in order to pass.  I gave him my ticket, but was a bit baffled as to why it would be necessary in the first place seeing that I'm exiting the station and not entering? This is clearly something that's only done during game day, as I've used that station before and never saw that.  Is this something that they do for crowd control or what's the story?

Yes, it's called "gating."  It's a common process and done at Mets-Willets Point on game days, Belmont Park when it's busy, as well as select other stations during special events/holidays. 

The idea is that the trains immediately leading up to or coming from the event are crowded enough--or there is not enough time--that getting through and lifting everyone's ticket would be impractical or difficult. 

Yes, it's called "gating."  It's a common process and done at Mets-Willets Point on game days, Belmont Park when it's busy, as well as select other stations during special events/holidays. 

The idea is that the trains immediately leading up to or coming from the event are crowded enough--or there is not enough time--that getting through and lifting everyone's ticket would be impractical or difficult. 

But why would they need the tickets if people are going to the game and leaving the station? 

Because the trains immediately leading up to or coming from the event are crowded enough--or there is not enough time--that getting through and lifting everyone's ticket would be impractical or difficult...

Because the trains immediately leading up to or coming from the event are crowded enough--or there is not enough time--that getting through and lifting everyone's ticket would be impractical or difficult...

Well the ticket collector certainly punched my ticket and there weren't many people on the train at all.  I want to re-iterate that we were going to Yankees Stadium, NOT leaving from it, so I don't see why they would need the punched ticket in order for me to exit the Metro-North station and use the path going towards Yankees' Stadium.  It was actually almost three hours before the game was scheduled to start....

Well the ticket collector certainly punched my ticket and there weren't many people on the train at all.  I want to re-iterate that we were going to Yankees Stadium, NOT leaving from it, so I don't see why they would need the punched ticket in order for me to exit the Metro-North station and use the path going towards Yankees' Stadium.  It was actually almost three hours before the game was scheduled to start....

I mean, these people have to be well in place before the actual crowds start overloading trains, so better safe than sorry, right? It's not as if these employees could be brought in on very short notice.

It makes sense going to Yankee Stadium; particularly if a train is standing-room only, the conductors may not get to everyone, so any stragglers who may have gone without inspection can get processed at the stadium station itself instead.

Perhaps I'll try again... it is because the trains immediately leading up to or coming from the event are crowded enough--or there is not enough time--that getting through and lifting everyone's ticket would be impractical or difficult...

Your train may not have been crowded, but your train is not the only train to stop at that station on that day, and they have to apply the practice consistently for all trains so there is no confusion.

I mean, these people have to be well in place before the actual crowds start overloading trains, so better safe than sorry, right? It's not as if these employees could be brought in on very short notice.

It makes sense going to Yankee Stadium; particularly if a train is standing-room only, the conductors may not get to everyone, so any stragglers who may have gone without inspection can get processed at the stadium station itself instead.

I suppose... The stores were just opening at that time anyway, but yeah I guess better safe than sorry.  Afterall you do have some people that show up to the games at the crack of dawn. Me and my buddy on the other hand, when he gets tickets that his friends can't use, if it's a Mets' game, no matter how good the seats are, we're lucky if we make it to the stadium half way through the game. (In other words before the 5th inning). lol Too busy thinking about getting hammered afterwards. Mets' games are usually that depressing anyway.  :lol:

Perhaps I'll try again... it is because the trains immediately leading up to or coming from the event are crowded enough--or there is not enough time--that getting through and lifting everyone's ticket would be impractical or difficult...

Your train may not have been crowded, but your train is not the only train to stop at that station on that day, and they have to apply the practice consistently for all trains so there is no confusion.

So what do they consider "leading up to" then in terms of the time that they start doing that before the game actually is schedule to begin? Four hours in advance??

So what do they consider "leading up to" then in terms of the time that they start doing that before the game actually is schedule to begin? Four hours in advance??

I don't know how Metro-North does it, as the LIRR has distinct hours of service at Mets-Willets Point and Blemont Park on event trains, so the employees go out on the train before whatever the first train is scheduled to stop is and they come back on the last scheduled train.  If I had to take a guess, I would assume it would be 16 hours before 75 minutes after whenever the game is supposed to end.

I don't know how Metro-North does it, as the LIRR has distinct hours of service at Mets-Willets Point and Blemont Park on event trains, so the employees go out on the train before whatever the first train is scheduled to stop is and they come back on the last scheduled train.  If I had to take a guess, I would assume it would be 16 hours before 75 minutes after whenever the game is supposed to end.

16 hours before???!? Jesus Christ.  

Gating at this station is something that has been going on since the station opened. Not just for base ball games, but for any major event at the stadium whether it be football, soccer, hockey or concerts.

Typically when there is a 7 PM game, the first conductor will get there 2 to 3 hours before the start of the game, then as game time gets closer, more arrive. Ultimately as many as 10 or 11 may be there. Most will work trains going to the game from their home terminal (Poughkeepsie, Harmon, Brewster, New Haven and Stamford) as there are direct trains that go to and from the games from these terminals.

On game day there are also shuttles that run from GCT to Yankees Station, stopping at 125th, specifically to bring people to and from the game. When you get a few hundred people on these trains, it would be impossible to collect all of their tickets. Additionally, some of the Hudson Line trains will get standing room only going to and from the game where it would be impossible to collect all tickets. This is the reason the gate collection takes place.

Once the game wraps up, and a few hundred people start filtering through the gates at a time, we'll verify that they have a ticket by punching it once and it may get punched again and collected on the train. If the later does not happen do to the aforementioned reasons, the ticket is rendered use less from the first punch at the gate.

Once the special game trains start running after the game then we start dispersing as most will work trains going back to their crew base.

Gating at this station is something that has been going on since the station opened. Not just for base ball games, but for any major event at the stadium whether it be football, soccer, hockey or concerts.

Typically when there is a 7 PM game, the first conductor will get there 2 to 3 hours before the start of the game, then as game time gets closer, more arrive. Ultimately as many as 10 or 11 may be there. Most will work trains going to the game from their home terminal (Poughkeepsie, Harmon, Brewster, New Haven and Stamford) as there are direct trains that go to and from the games from these terminals.

On game day there are also shuttles that run from GCT to Yankees Station, stopping at 125th, specifically to bring people to and from the game. When you get a few hundred people on these trains, it would be impossible to collect all of their tickets. Additionally, some of the Hudson Line trains will get standing room only going to and from the game where it would be impossible to collect all tickets. This is the reason the gate collection takes place.

Once the game wraps up, and a few hundred people start filtering through the gates at a time, we'll verify that they have a ticket by punching it once and it may get punched again and collected on the train. If the later does not happen do to the aforementioned reasons, the ticket is rendered use less from the first punch at the gate.

Once the special game trains start running after the game then we start dispersing as most will work trains going back to their crew base.

I was puzzled because I didn't know that there was a game, and I wasn't going to the Yankee game. I was just using that exit to get me to my destination quicker.  I guess the question is what happens if someone is over there that isn't using Metro-North and is just using that as a short cut or something?  Would they be denied access from using that overpass exit, which is basically what it is?  Anytime I go to Yankees games, it's usually via car so I have no idea what the procedure is.  The car is parked in a garage nearby, and then we head to our seats from there.

The overpass is open as a shortcut from the street to the parking lot.. There's a section of the overpass that you turn to go to the stairs for the platforms. This is where the gating is done.

Right, so what about those people who didn't use Metro-North and/or aren't going to the Yankees game and just want to use the shortcut?

Right, so what about those people who didn't use Metro-North and/or aren't going to the Yankees game and just want to use the shortcut?

You go through the gating like everyone else.............

Yeah with no ticket... That's what I'm getting at... If it's about making sure that they collect all of the tickets and you don't have one, I don't see how they would let you through.

Not with no ticket... when you're going to Yankees-E 153rd Street during the times they are gating they give the ticket back to you and it is lifted once you arrive.  You said it yourself when you started this thread........

Not with no ticket... when you're going to Yankees-E 153rd Street during the times they are gating they give the ticket back to you and it is lifted once you arrive.  You said it yourself when you started this thread........

Uh if you're not using Metro-North, then you would have no ticket. That's the point I was making. There are people that use that shortcut (which Truckie confirmed earlier in this thread) that aren't necessarily using Metro-North and I was wondering what would happen if they wanted to go through but had no ticket. That station is close to a shopping area and several garages and having that shortcut is much quicker to get to other local places in the area. Quite frankly that's the first time I've ever been given my ticket back and quite frankly had no idea why, as I was inclined to throw it out, but I thought it would be wise of me to hold on to it. 

Uh if you're not using Metro-North, then you would have no ticket. That's the point I was making. There are people that use that shortcut (which Truckie confirmed earlier in this thread) that aren't necessarily using Metro-North and I was wondering what would happen if they wanted to go through but had no ticket. That station is close to a shopping area and several garages and having that shortcut is much quicker to get to other local places in the area. Quite frankly that's the first time I've ever been given my ticket back and quite frankly had no idea why, as I was inclined to throw it out, but I thought it would be wise of me to hold on to it. 

You mean the same post where he said:

The overpass is open as a shortcut from the street to the parking lot.. There's a section of the overpass that you turn to go to the stairs for the platforms. This is where the gating is done.

The gating is setup in such a way that you only go through it if you are going down to or coming up from the platforms.  Last time I checked, the platforms were not part of the shortcut.

You mean the same post where he said:

The gating is setup in such a way that you only go through it if you are going down to or coming up from the platforms.  Last time I checked, the platforms were not part of the shortcut.

Well it didn't seem that way from what I saw yesterday... I'll let him clarify.  

Archived