Anyone here in the Engineering field?

From what I understand its definitely a growing field in other states experiencing major economic booms. The studies involved however is very hard so get ready. The math is not easy as it can go as far as linear equations just to get you prepared so definitely practice in your math also physics. Is not an easy course of study, harder then even computer science but absolutely go for it, definitely.

Very possible you can land on a gig right here in the tri-state area even.

You'll have to get ready to become active in alot of internships to build up your skillset and experience as you go until graduation.

I lived with two roommates years ago who were both engineering majors. So I am relating my knowledge to you from what they related to me in regards to the study of civil engineering.

Engineering is a broad field, but you already noted your specifics. I was actually thinking about transitioning to that field. But I'm going up in terms of positions in the IT field already so I guess I'm staying.

Most engineering fields are math intense so I hope you're quite skilled in that as well. I know in Computer Engineering, that is the case. No doubt I'm sure it's the same for other fields in engineering. But if you're really, really interested then, you can definitely excel!

Thanks a lot. Do you think sites like Kahn Academy will get me up to speed to tackle the math courses?

It could. The internet is a very helpful tool. My advice to you is to brush up definitely on calculus and physics, get it down, at least the basics as you go so when you are finally in college you will nit be suprised, you will be prepared for when professors slam you with the coursework. There are plenty of internet resources out there. Hit the public library for old textbooks.

Try to get a sample syllabus from the schools as you investigate that will give you an idea on what to study for in advance as you prepare for your first day of class.

Otherwise with the university or college you may attend tutors will be there on site assigned by the college to help you on your work, free of charge as their services is included in your tuition. At least where CUNY is concerned in New York City.

I'm sure it is the same way in SUNY and other city university systems in other states.

Archived