Apartment listings promote East New York as ‘New Frontier’

Harry

Yes cause hard working poor people are the worst kind, they should moved else were. :angry:

Poor folks have to live somewhere.  My point was if you live in an expensive enough neighborhood you don't have to worry about gentrification or poor people getting displaced or any that stuff.  My neighborhood for example has always been upper class (before the Henry Hudson Parkway) and then moved to upper middle class as apartment buildings were created and converted to co-ops and or luxury condos, so it isn't "hip" (which I love), isn't "up and coming" (lol) and is pretty well established, so the folks moving here are young families from Manhattan that want more space and more green (tons of parks and green space here), older folks from the city that want a quieter environment, and even some people from expensive parts of Brooklyn that want more bang for the buck.

They just stay a block away, for example the East Village.

LOL... You are too much...

Riverdale is very suburban. It is closer to areas like Scarsdale rather than the Bronx. Also, I hate to say it, but gentrification also brings more hardworking people from other classes. Hipsters aren't complete slackers.

Aaannnd this is why I like Queens (and not Astoria and LIC or eastern Queens), if I ever couldn't live in Manhattan I'd pick Queens before anything. Aside from the LIC/Astoria waterfront gentrification isn't hitting and I don't see it hitting, at least not until it hits further into Brooklyn and then the Bronx.

Riverdale, NE Queens, SI are semi-suburban. You have houses, lots of families, more affluent residents and of course quietness, but at the same time you still have decent bus/subway (and of course commuter rail) transit that people actually use and most things are in easy reach and not a drive away. NJ, LI and Westchester are the real suburbs, there's places where you have to drive miles to get something to eat! Not to mention transit barely existing and, at least as a kid, actually using it gets you called poor or a different race (yes that happens sadly). But those semi-suburban areas are still NYC, have much more in common with the rest of the city and the people still feel they're in NYC, even in Riverdale the older residents refuse to accept they're part of the Bronx but they do accept they're in NYC. Not really the areas for me though, but still NYC.

Yes... Riverdale, NE Queens and SI are all semi-suburban.  I would say out of the three, Riverdale is walkable is some parts (the Downtown area anyway), but even that is semi-suburban.  It's a mix of urban with some walkability and denseness, but still suburban in terms of the setting, quietness and lack of walkability in parts like Fieldston and North Riverdale.  I also agree that folks use transit here (commuter rail and the express bus) as are the folks in Northeast Queens, but Staten Island aside from the express buses is VERY ANTI-TRANSIT and it's certainly less walkable out of the three.  Had I stayed there long term I would've definitely had to have bought a car, which I did not feel like putting up with.  Not that old yet to start thinking about buying a house and starting a family and a car and all of that.  <_<

Archived