Apartment listings promote East New York as ‘New Frontier’

Harry

post-5097-0-87896000-1407103926_thumb.jpg
This is East New York. It’s not the Wild West. Online ads for chic, newly renovated apartments in the neighborhood invite potential tenants to boldly go where few urban pioneers have gone before. “Check out the NEW FRONTIER!” exclaim the listings for apartments at 577 New Lots Ave. The rentals — tricked out in promotional photos with ironic hinterland touches such as an animal-hyde rug — boast sleek finishes, stainless steel appliances and hardwood floors. To keep it real, a newly commissioned, graffiti-style mural decorates the exterior of the brick triple decker.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-87896000-1407103926_thumb.jpg

I told family members about this & now they're adhering to my theory that No neighborhood in Brooklyn is off-limits with this borough-wide gentrification push.... Brooklyn will be one huge ass extension of Manhattan when it's all said & done; no "identity" of its own will be attained whatsoever......

I told family members about this & now they're adhering to my theory that No neighborhood in Brooklyn is off-limits with this borough-wide gentrification push.... Brooklyn will be one huge ass extension of Manhattan when it's all said & done; no "identity" of its own will be attained whatsoever......

I have a friend I went to high school with who was also from from South Brooklyn like I am, and he's also had the thinking that the Bronx was a total dump.  I mention this because from what I've been hearing a lot of old school Brooklynites have been moving to the Bronx.  He now lives in Upper Manhattan with his girlfriend, but they been driving through Fieldston before and were lost, and he said he had a feeling that Riverdale wasn't a shithole like the Bronx is even though he wasn't really familiar with it because his boss who is Jewish lives here, so he figured it had to have a different set up.  My thinking is that you'll have the following set up... Manhattanites that want more space will move to Riverdale OR maybe some parts of Brooklyn that may be slightly cheaper and I do mean slightly because some places are right there with Manhattan in terms of price for rentals.  Some Brooklynites are moving to Riverdale for that reason (that they get more space, even if the prices are similar or slightly less than Manhattan or parts of Brooklyn). The ones being pushed out because they simply are too poor to afford anything will move to the South Bronx and other run down parts of the Bronx.  Queens is also becoming quite expensive, particularly the Northeastern areas and the areas that already nice... Kew Gardens, Forest Hills, Bayside, Bay Terrace, Whitestone, Little Neck, Douglaston, etc.  The Asians are really driving the prices up out there, especially the Koreans with money in certain areas... What I'm also seeing is some Asians moving to the Bronx to areas like Pelham Parkway and that area might get a little pricey since it's close to the Bronx Zoo, has lots of green and the BxM11 right there.  Prices are already not that cheap though you do get more bang for the buck but I was surprised that hear that one bedrooms go for $1,400.00.

Here in Riverdale I'm seeing prices for $1,850 - 1,950 for a one bedroom, but that includes a doorman as well, so that's  not too bad, as the prime places can go for $2,200.00 - 2,300.00 for a 1 bedroom. What I'm also amazed by is how expensive Bay Ridge has become.  A studio along Shore Rd. can go for $1,500.00 and I remember say 7 years ago looking at a studio for just $1,025 right along Shore Rd. and Bay Ridge is pretty isolated so that's why that price is rather surprising.

It's happening right in my backyard too. I own one of those single-family houses that got built 2 decades ago. Now all the new buildings that are popping up are multi-tenant. I'm slightly irked that the population density is going to go up, but at the same time, it's displacing the undesirable elements of my neighborhood. I don't see so many drunk bums hanging around now.

^ I meant to quote that before writing.

lol@people who don't like the gentrification... These were neighborhoods that were complete DUMPS back in the day, and if people can come in and make them livable then more power to them.  

Won't gentrification come back to bite the city in the ass in the future?

Won't gentrification come back to bite the city in the ass in the future?

It already is... This city is really bland at times... It has really lost some of its edge, but on the flip side, it's a lot safer, though it could be cleaner.  It amazes me how expensive some areas are (especially in Manhattan) and how dirty they are.  For what it's worth, even though I'm from Brooklyn, a lot of Brooklyn is really overhyped.  Some of these areas that are said to be the next hot thing were no-gos when I was growing up.  Take Bushwick for example... That area just does not sit well with me.  There's still A LOT that needs to be done to get that place looking decent, so you have a mix of decent housing with complete crap, but New York City has always been a place that is transforming.  Ultimately as a New Yorker, a part of me is happy to see that the place is on the up and up, but at the same time, it's becoming so expensive that it is pushing out a lot of the middle class, and that can be a very dangerous recipe where you have either people that are upper middle class or rich and just the poor, and no working middle class, which is what most of New York City was and still is to a degree.  

It's also becoming a place that is increasingly difficult for young single professionals like myself.  Most folks my age cannot afford their own apartment and have to shack up with roommates, which I have never done, or they live at home A LOT longer, but I can see why.  Rents are expensive, and most people rent here and they can be unpredictable, with some peoples' rent doubling and tripling in some cases in just a matter of a few years, which is not healthy.  A lot of people from what I hear are paying 50% or more in rent, not including gas, electric, cable, internet and phone, and you also have people graduating college with a mountain of debt and there are not tons of high paying jobs out here, especially for those just starting out.  

My monthly expenses average 3,000+ - 4,000 a month (a lot closer to 4k lol), and that's not including money for retirement and investments (that's separate, as I don't consider those things to be expenses), and without a car, nor things like clothing and any sort of excursions.  Eating well here is expensive, as is going out, and I don't consider myself to be one that spends like crazy, though I do spend a lot in food because it's important to eat healthy.  Shopping is only done a few times a year as needed, but still the average single person with student loan debt etc. will struggle in this economy with the rents now and days.  

My first apartment in college in Italy was about $1,600.00 US a month in rent, and for that I got a luxurious one bedroom, though I also had to pay for water, gas and electric on top of that.  $1,600.00 in Manhattan gets you a studio perhaps in Yorkville if you're lucky or in some crummy part of Upper Manhattan a one bedroom unless you're willing to schlepp and go to Inwood which is okay west of Broadway, and it also doesn't go that far in a lot of neighborhoods outside of Manhattan, including most of Brooklyn and Queens, so it's really an uphill battle for a lot of folks.  I know a guy who is a principal, who is single and has a daughter, and I know that he must make at least $90 - 100k a year and even he was complaining. 

... Take Bushwick for example... That area just does not sit well with me.  There's still A LOT that needs to be done to get that place looking decent, so you have a mix of decent housing with complete crap, but New York City has always been a place that is transforming.

You just described Williamsburg & DUMBO!

I can't believe what Wythe av (along the southbound B32 route) has turned into... You look at some of those bldg's from the outside, and you can't really tell WTF type of establishments they are.... What gets me though is, that immediate area along Wythe is now crawling with yellow & green cabs & way more people walking out & about.... Some bars & restaurants & what not, but the area in & of itself is still just as drab looking as when that area was surrounded with industrial bldg's..... Most of the bldg's are either brown, black, gray, or some mix of the 3 colors....

I don't trust establishments like that... at all.... Places like that tend to be (drug and/or prostitution) fronts.....

You just described Williamsburg & DUMBO!

I can't believe what Wythe av (along the southbound B32 route) has turned into... You look at some of those bldg's from the outside, and you can't really tell WTF type of establishments they are.... What gets me though is, that immediate area along Wythe is now crawling with yellow & green cabs & way more people walking out & about.... Some bars & restaurants & what not, but the area in & of itself is still just as drab looking as when that area was surrounded with industrial bldg's..... Most of the bldg's are either brown, black, gray, or some mix of the 3 colors....

I don't trust establishments like that... at all.... Places like that tend to be (drug and/or prostitution) fronts.....

I have a friend that lives near the Bogart stop along the (L) .... OMG... He was paying $1,400 (and this was years ago) for what wasn't even a real two bedroom... He wanted me to move in and take the other so called bedroom... I told him hell no... The area creeped me out on another level.... Hipster types here and there but the whole area had an eery feel because of the amount of vacant industrial buildings about...

There are benefits, but gentrification makes it harder for people to find places to live if they don't have so much money.

Gentrification just pushes the problem elements elsewhere or "sweeps things under the rugs" as the saying goes. When one area gets gentrified, the former neighborhood's residents have to go somewhere, and that's where the problems will follow.

Gentrification just pushes the problem elements elsewhere or "sweeps things under the rugs" as the saying goes. When one area gets gentrified, the former neighborhood's residents have to go somewhere, and that's where the problems will follow.

I'm fine with it quite frankly.  What's important is to live in a neighborhood that's expensive enough that you don't have to worry about the problems coming to your neighborhood.  Another reason I left Staten Island... A lot of the trash from Brooklyn is now moving to Staten Island, which is not necessarily a good thing. My neighborhood had been quite safe for years and then shortly before I moved I heard about a shooting taking place on Forest Avenue.  Well that pretty much sealed it for me. I live far away from the city in an expensive suburban area not to deal with that nonsense, and I didn't feel that moving to the South Shore would necessarily be any better per se.

Moving to say Tottenville where a good friend of mine from high school lives... It's a great area, and upper middle class, with no housing projects anywhere, but also a LONGGG commute, even with the X22, so that was not happening.

Yup, it's called the suburbs..... Rinse, wash, repeat.

I'm fine with it quite frankly.  What's important is to live in a neighborhood that's expensive enough that you don't have to worry about the problems coming to your neighborhood.  Another reason I left Staten Island... A lot of the trash from Brooklyn is now moving to Staten Island, which is not necessarily a good thing. My neighborhood had been quite safe for years and then shortly before I moved I heard about a shooting taking place on Forest Avenue.  Well that pretty much sealed it for me. I live far away from the city in an expensive suburban area not to deal with that nonsense, and I didn't feel that moving to the South Shore would necessarily be any better per se.

Moving to say Tottenville where a good friend of mine from high school lives... It's a great area, and upper middle class, with no housing projects anywhere, but also a LONGGG commute, even with the X22, so that was not happening.

RIVERDALE IS NOT PART OF THE SUBURBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RIVERDALE IS NOT PART OF THE SUBURBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Suburban and suburbs are two different things.... There are neighborhoods withing NYC, that are suburban.  A lot of Staten Island has suburban neighborhoods.

Riverdale's winding, tree-lined streets and stately single-family homes may make you think you're not even in New York City anymore. This tony, suburban enclave has been welcoming refugees from Manhattan's bustle and summer heat for decades.

Source: http://www.newyork.com/ny/nyc/bronx/riverdale/

For what's it's worth, I doubt you've ever even been here to know what this neighborhood is like.

Aaannnd this is why I like Queens (and not Astoria and LIC or eastern Queens), if I ever couldn't live in Manhattan I'd pick Queens before anything. Aside from the LIC/Astoria waterfront gentrification isn't hitting and I don't see it hitting, at least not until it hits further into Brooklyn and then the Bronx.

Riverdale, NE Queens, SI are semi-suburban. You have houses, lots of families, more affluent residents and of course quietness, but at the same time you still have decent bus/subway (and of course commuter rail) transit that people actually use and most things are in easy reach and not a drive away. NJ, LI and Westchester are the real suburbs, there's places where you have to drive miles to get something to eat! Not to mention transit barely existing and, at least as a kid, actually using it gets you called poor or a different race (yes that happens sadly). But those semi-suburban areas are still NYC, have much more in common with the rest of the city and the people still feel they're in NYC, even in Riverdale the older residents refuse to accept they're part of the Bronx but they do accept they're in NYC. Not really the areas for me though, but still NYC.

Aaannnd this is why I like Queens (and not Astoria and LIC or eastern Queens), if I ever couldn't live in Manhattan I'd pick Queens before anything. Aside from the LIC/Astoria waterfront gentrification isn't hitting and I don't see it hitting, at least not until it hits further into Brooklyn and then the Bronx.

Riverdale, NE Queens, SI are semi-suburban. You have houses, lots of families, more affluent residents and of course quietness, but at the same time you still have decent bus/subway (and of course commuter rail) transit that people actually use and most things are in easy reach and not a drive away. NJ, LI and Westchester are the real suburbs, there's places where you have to drive miles to get something to eat! Not to mention transit barely existing and, at least as a kid, actually using it gets you called poor or a different race (yes that happens sadly). But those semi-suburban areas are still NYC, have much more in common with the rest of the city and the people still feel they're in NYC, even in Riverdale the older residents refuse to accept they're part of the Bronx but they do accept they're in NYC. Not really the areas for me though, but still NYC.

Riverdale is very suburban. It is closer to areas like Scarsdale rather than the Bronx. Also, I hate to say it, but gentrification also brings more hardworking people from other classes. Hipsters aren't complete slackers.

Archived