Suffolk BRT (Nicolls Rd., Route 110 and Sagtikos PKWY would get rapid transit lanes)

Burrstone

Back to Suffolk  BRT...

Here's an interesting letter on the situation...

How much would service at 30 minute headways be on this line?

People turn their nose up at buses on the island but love their LIRR service...  LIRR was created as a way to shuttle people into the city and back.  The island has grown but the LIRR's intent has stayed the same.  The line is there, why not use it and connect the lines?

Letter: North-south LI transit exists now

Published: August 5, 2014 4:51 PM

http://www.newsday.com/opinion/letters/north-south-li-transit-exists-now-letter-1.8971248

Relative to the $78 million rapid bus plan envisioned by Suffolk County Executive Steve Bellone, I would argue that something like the north-south transit service he seeks already exists and is available almost free of additional taxpayer cost ["Rapid-bus plan backed," News, July 31].

The key lies in whether the Long Island Rail Road is willing to modify its New York City-based travel orientation to one that attempts to facilitate north-south travel in Nassau and Suffolk.

Between Hicksville and Babylon, two of the LIRR's busiest stations, there is a little-known stretch of rail called the Central branch. This 10 miles of non-electrified, single track provides critical flexibility for the LIRR in routing some Montauk branch trains via the Main Line. Yet virtually none of these trains has a scheduled stop at either Hicksville or Babylon. If they did, it would enable passengers to transfer from one of the LIRR's branches to another. Such transfers are available in most European rail systems.

Were the LIRR to stop all of its trains at both Hicksville and Babylon -- and perhaps even add "scoot" diesel service between these points -- the intra-county connectivity between communities and activity centers on the Port Jefferson, Ronkonkoma and Babylon-Montauk branches could be accomplished. It would eliminate the lengthier, time-consuming and more expensive transfers via Jamaica. And even though it might appear to be roundabout, travel by rail connection may be a lot speedier than navigating a north-south bus link through Long Island traffic

The Long Islanders who hate the bus and love the LIRR will most likely be the same people who oppose reactivating the Central Branch because it will destroy their quality of life.

To many people Long Island should be nothing but the home of people who are shuttled into the city and back m-f.  Long Island should be peaceful and tranquil...  It's funny, if a business shuts down it seems residents don't want any business redeveloped on the property.  They might as well just plant trees on the plot of land because the zoning boards will try to keep any business out, it's as if some long island residents feel they're entitled to reverse urban sprawl.  If these people want country they should have bought a house upstate and use metronorth, it's more country up there.  It's not like developers are trying to build on residential streets, I've been following some of this not in my back yard, and two pertaining to Suffolk (as this is a suffolk thread) are Sonic in Smithtown are concerned about traffic.  Really?  Fix the traffic problems within the community before you turn down a business due to traffic problems it'll cost. My absolute favorite was a few years ago Amityville turned down a proposal from Stop & Shop to put a gas station in a couple of properties away, they cited additional traffic  that a gas station on Merrick Rd.would create.  The kicker is the property used to be a gas station!  lol  How much extra traffic is a gas station going to create than the gas station that was already there?  The truth is certain people liked the result after the gas station went under and went empty, or the people who own the security dodge needed extra space nearby.  

Correction, this was off the top of my head, i said Sonic in Smithtown, I should have said Sonic in Nesconset... Right across from Smith Haven Mall...  What are those jerks at Sonic trying to ruin folks quality of life on Middle Rd right across from a main entrance/exit to Smith Haven Mall (right in front of a big plaza).  These people deserve peace there, they are already used to it with Middle County Rd. and Smith Haven Mall right across the St,. they don't need the traffic a Sonic will bring...  :rolleyes:  how do these people keep a straight face on News12!?!

Correction, this was off the top of my head, i said Sonic in Smithtown, I should have said Sonic in Nesconset... Right across from Smith Haven Mall...  What are those jerks at Sonic trying to ruin folks quality of life on Middle Rd right across from a main entrance/exit to Smith Haven Mall (right in front of a big plaza).  These people deserve peace there, they are already used to it with Middle County Rd. and Smith Haven Mall right across the St,. they don't need the traffic a Sonic will bring...  :rolleyes:  how do these people keep a straight face on News12!?!

Really strong drugs. Some buses in Suffolk are actually pretty quick.

The Long Islanders who hate the bus and love the LIRR will most likely be the same people who oppose reactivating the Central Branch because it will destroy their quality of life.

Err he is taking about a part of the central branch that is still in service many Montauk trains use it even without stopping at hicksville.

Really strong drugs. Some buses in Suffolk are actually pretty quick.

Err he is taking about a part of the central branch that is still in service many Montauk trains use it even without stopping at hicksville.

I don't understand the correlation between what my post you quoted and what you wrote..

I think what NY1635 is saying is that if you increased service from a few trains on that branch residents who live near by would fight it claiming this "quality of life"  BS you hear anything new is proposed...

Archived