Signal Problems on the 5 line

UlmerPark B6

Service Alert

Posted on:9/8/2008 6:29:50 PM

Due to signal problems at the 14th Street-Union Square Station, Eastchester-bound (5) trains are running on the (2) line from the Nevins Street Station to the 149th Street- Grand Concourse Station.

Please expect delays in service on the (4) and (5) trains.

The problem actually started earlier. I went through the area over two hours before that hit the website. There were (4) and (5) trains backed up from Astor Place to Atlantic Ave in Brooklyn. Finally some one put their gray matter to work and decided to re-route the (5) to the 7th Ave line. They didn't want to do that at first because the ATS system was in effect and really can't handle re-routed (5) or (2) trains. Simply put, the signals won't clear for a re-routed train because the system doesn't recognize what type of train it is so you won't get a line-up to continue moving. The result is a tie-up on the other side of town. The real solution is to shut the ATS system off and run things the old way. Technology at work......ha...ha....

The problem actually started earlier. I went through the area over two hours before that hit the website. There were (4) and (5) trains backed up from Astor Place to Atlantic Ave in Brooklyn. Finally some one put their gray matter to work and decided to re-route the (5) to the 7th Ave line. They didn't want to do that at first because the ATS system was in effect and really can't handle re-routed (5) or (2) trains. Simply put, the signals won't clear for a re-routed train because the system doesn't recognize what type of train it is so you won't get a line-up to continue moving. The result is a tie-up on the other side of town. The real solution is to shut the ATS system off and run things the old way. Technology at work......ha...ha....

Ah, that explains the line of trains on the NB express track when I was coming from Grand Central on monday.

Archived