Musician Arrested for playing his guitar.

peacemak3r

That makes sense, but I'm still shocked that musical performances in the subway are legal. I was always under the impression that they are not, unless you have the special approval from that Arts for Transit competition

I think the other issue here is that the musician felt so unjustly attacked that he wanted to get arrested.

In the video, the cop says at first that he is just ejecting the guy, not arresting him. I bet that a cop can legally choose to eject someone without proving that they commited a crime, just that they are a distraction or annoyance to other people (perhaps himself included). If the guy wanted to avoid arrest, he should have just left, filed a complaint about the cop when he got home, and gone to another station to perform. 

I am too... I mean that photo I posted yesterday contradicts the current rules... Did they change their rules or something? Aside from that I've always heard talk about how the (MTA) allows select musicians to play in select areas of stations, so what's the point of that?

About 70 performers auditioned for 20 spots on the MTA’s official roster of transit talent, called Music Under New York.

Winners get to reserve the choice spots in the subway — where they can rake in the most tips — and can hang large banners emblazoned with their name.

http://nypost.com/2012/05/17/musicians-vie-for-subway-performer-spots/

I mean someone could just show up early enough and get the spot that they want.  Why does the (MTA) need to be involved if permits aren't necessary??

Here's the other issue according to this article:

The MTA does not issue permits, and the rules the officer read aloud are accurate. MTA rules, however, differ from state law, which says entertainers can be arrested for loitering in a transportation facility unless they were specifically authorized to be there.

Source: http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/10/21/nypd-looking-into-arrest-of-subway-performer-in-williamsburg-after-video-goes-viral/

So yet again there are conflicting rules here.  I would think that State law supercedes any (MTA) rules??

Archived