MTA: Metro-North repair crews get little supervision

Via Garibaldi 8

MTA: Metro-North repair crews get little supervision

Posted: Apr 13, 2015 6:31 AM EDTUpdated: Apr 13, 2015 6:55 AM EDT

3156541_G.jpg

Metro-North file photo

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) - The Metropolitan Transportation Authority's inspector general says Metro-North maintenance crews get little or no supervision and fail to document their work.

The New York Post reports Monday that the transit agency's inspector general also says maintenance crews sometimes don't even receive assignments.

Many of the problems were brought to the railroad's attention in 2001, but were not properly addressed. That audit found a lack of record-keeping for equipment failures and repair work and reported that Metro-North was not keeping track of the work by crews during their shifts.

However, Inspector General Barry Kluger's office says Metro-North's new management "clearly recognizes the seriousness of the issue."

Metro-North spokeswoman Marjorie Anders said the agency is working to fix the problems by establishing a computer-based system of record-keeping to track work that's assigned and completed.

Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Source: http://www.myfoxny.com/story/28784843/metro-north-repair-crews

It amazed me how many record keeping systems throughout a number of industries are still paper-and-pencil based instead of computer based. 

I'm not only amazed, I'm also very disturbed by this news that they have so little oversight.  I wouldn't be surprised if someone tries to sue the (MTA) using this information, arguing that lack of maintenance and oversight led to numerous lives being lost or put in danger.

Archived