Exam List Declining/Re-instatement

RCVW

Good day all,

Ive recently recieved a pre-employment letter for a position I'd love to be hired for, esp with had taken the test years ago (2012) but, my current situation leaves me in a position that doesn't allow me to reasonably "move on" so to speak. Id like to decline or remove myself from and later on, a year or two...re-instate my name on the eligible list. The pre-employment letter states this is possible but, its not really clear and straight forward as to if you'll recieve any sort of confirmation that your name was withdrawn until you contact DCAS with a written request, etc. Has anyone ever done this for any exams they have filed for? Do you recieve any sort of correspondence? Is there a time frame for the 3 chances they allot? If the list is 4-5 years, do I have about that long to re-instate myself? Thanks in advance forum!

Good day all,

Ive recently recieved a pre-employment letter for a position I'd love to be hired for, esp with had taken the test years ago (2012) but, my current situation leaves me in a position that doesn't allow me to reasonably "move on" so to speak. Id like to decline or remove myself from and later on, a year or two...re-instate my name on the eligible list. The pre-employment letter states this is possible but, its not really clear and straight forward as to if you'll recieve any sort of confirmation that your name was withdrawn until you contact DCAS with a written request, etc. Has anyone ever done this for any exams they have filed for? Do you recieve any sort of correspondence? Is there a time frame for the 3 chances they allot? If the list is 4-5 years, do I have about that long to re-instate myself? Thanks in advance forum!

I have done this for another exam under DCAS which was for a position with the NYC DOT. Allow me to elaborate:

I filed for the exam sometime in 2010. The exam was graded based on my education and experience, so there was no multiple-choice exam. The list got released sometime in 2011. I was towards the bottom of the list with a 78.75% score. In November of 2014, I got a letter stating to report for pre-employment. At the time I chose to decline. As a result, I had to write a one page letter to DCAS and mail to them @ 2 Lafayette Street, 17th, Floor, New York, NY 10007 simply requesting them to restore my name to the list (nothing fancy). Although they do not accept these letters in person, if you want to speed things up, you can simply mail your letter at a downtown post office.

I don't recall exactly when, but I wrote the letter sometime in early 2015. Approximately two months later they sent me a letter stating that my name has been restored to the list. About another month and a half went by before I got another notice from NYC DOT.

Therefore, as long as you write this letter to DCAS before the list expires, you are good to go. If I had to take an educated guess, the process with NYC Transit might be a little bit different, but for the most part, it should be the same.

Archived